Menu
frough
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Concrete walls and wi-fi!!!!

Looking for help/advice!

My broadband router in in my living room and we are getting speeds of 50-100Mps, however I can barely get 2Mps in my sons bedroom (2 concrete walls away), which as you can imagine is causing a problem!  I have tried powerline adaptors and I still can get an improvement in the signal.  (I am beginning to winder if my sons bedroom is on a different circuit to the living room?)

Would be grateful for any advice, but please keep it simple as I am not very IT clued up! If not a simple issue who would I call to come out and sort this for me?  An electrician?  and IT guy???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Concrete walls and wi-fi!!!!

Is the power line adapter plugged direct into wall, since this can effect speed also depends on quality of internal cabling for noise levels..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
frough
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

yeah, its plugged directly into the wall.  Our house is about 60yrs old but it was re-wired around 10years ago.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Is there no way you can get an ethernet cable to your sons bedroom?

frough
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Can you get really long Ethernet cables?  Though that would entail a bit of drilling through walls and running wires (I hate to see wires, prefer to run them externally if possible, so I cant see them).  Though would the Ethernet cable not just allow me to plug into his xbox/laptop.  I would still have an issue getting Wi-Fi for his phone or tablet? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can get long ethernet cables, to get wifi you will need to plug in a wireless access point to get wireless. Personally I would not use wireless connections for online gaming as it can be too unstable.

What speeds are you getting when connected to the powerline adapter in your son's room by ethernet cable?

I would test the powerline adapters in the same room as the Hub.

I would plug the powerline adapter that was in your son's room,as close to the powerline adapter connected to the hub by ethernet cable as possible.

If you do do not get decent wired speeds with the plugs close together, then it looks like a fault with the adapters.

frough
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

So I have tested the speeds;

Living room wireless signal variable between 50-100Mbps; with Ethernet cable (via powerline in socket next to main adaptor) between 30-50Mbps

Sons room wireless signal 3Mbps (with powerline plugged in, powerline also has Wi-Fi booster built in), with Ethernet from powerline adaptor plugged in sons room speeds of 15Mbps.

Does this mean issue is with the adaptors?   any ideas on how to improve?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

With the sockets plugged in close together you are minimising noise on the electrical circuit affecting speed, so you should see approximately the same wired speeds with the powerline adapters plugged in directly into sockets close to each other. Either the powerline adapters are faulty, or you have an incredibly noisy electric mains.

You could do a factory reset on the powerline adapters and check that the powerline adapter's firmware is up to date according to the manufacturer's website. It would be wise to try swapping the ethernet cables around to test if one of the cables is faulty

The bottom line is that the two concrete walls and distance to your son's bedroom will provide a very significant obstacle to wireless signals which even the best wireless router may struggle with (the clients will also need to transmit a similar strength signal back to the router, wireless is a two way street).

There are other considerations like interference from neighbouring networks and domestic appliances also affecting your signal. I would download a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyser for Android which will show you any neighbouring wireless networks around you (if any with concrete walls) but not interference from domestic appliances.

What would be handy is that the scanner will show you the wireless signal strength, so you can see how much the concrete walls are attenuating the signal . (you are looking for a signal of -67dBm or better)

The most robust solution would be to run an ethernet cable to your son's bedroom and connect a switch and wireless access point so your son can use a hard wired connection for gaming and a wireless connection for his phone.

If you have no success with your current powerline adapters after resetting them and updating the firmware, maybe a better set of adapters with gigabit ethernet ports  may do the trick. However, I would make sure you can return them before purchasing them if they don't work as we cannot rule out your electric mains greatly affecting speeds.

frough
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you have been super helpful!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator