Menu
Pr1me
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Complete loss of WiFi Area 03

For the past week I've had to restart the router or reboot the hub on numerous occasions in order to connect to broadband.

However, as of yesterday we have completely failed to connect which between myself and my partner being homeworkers is now beyond frustrating. 

Having called the helpline yesterday the first handler was beyond unhelpful in terms of telling me to do what I had already done... Turn the router off and/or hold the restart button. There was no surprises when this failed to rectify the issue. I was promised a call back in 15mins to which was never forthcoming.

In my 2nd attempt I was told there is a known issue in the area and has been since the 5th August. Great! I was then proceeded to be told this has an expected fix date of the 4th September but could take longer...even up to a year (no joke). 

Upon asking for compensation for the downtime I was told this is only issued when WiFi has been disconnected and unable to use for a full 24hrs. This is surprising as the WiFi could well reconnect without my knowledge in the early hours and when not being used. 

Anyway, another day passes without connection and before doing a equipment test earlier the website states there are no known faults!

Can someone please let me know if there is or isn't an issue in the Surrey area as if not I'd like an engineer called out ASAP please? 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complete loss of WiFi Area 03

WiFi is a separate issue to the broadband service. It may be failing even though the broadband is working to your Hub. 

What do you get with a device wired directly to the Hub? 

0 Kudos
Pr1me
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, and thanks for the response.

Just checked and a hard connection works but the WiFi doesn't. Would this suggest there's an issue with the router and would a new one fix the issue?

It's so strange as I literally have to power the router on and off again to give the thing a kick start but then it loses signal after a few hours. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's possible that the Hub is failing, but there are many other causes for loss of WiFi. 

First, do a factory reset of the Hub with a press of the pin switch for 30 seconds. If that doesn't fix it then check out the WiFi help links on the Networking page.

The WiFi in the Hub is very basic, and if you have several users relying on it you may find like many other users that you need to invest in an additional WiFi access point. 

0 Kudos
Tmarti66
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Area 26 also in Surrey and seem to be experiencing similar problems to you. My WiFi was never that great to be honest but worked OK'ish. Recently though its hit and miss. I can be sitting directly in front of the router and the WiFi signal will bounce in and out. I too rung Virgin Media about this a couple of weeks ago and went through the same routine of resetting the router and being told it should improve after 24hrs but it never did. I don't quite understand the whole need to reset the router routinely as I have done so in the past. I never had this problem with Sky (although the internet speed was awful).

I've given up ringing Virgin as I know what the response will be - reset the router and wait 24hrs. I'm a firm believer that something is faulty for it not be working properly anymore? Thank goodness they don't fly planes eh!?.... Oh wait.....

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

They don't fly planes, or run trains.

Virgin Media is owned by a US company. 

0 Kudos