cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communal Virgin Media

davidjill2018
Dialled in

We have our own account, but the building we live in has a communal Virgin Media.

How do you log on to this ?

16 REPLIES 16

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I'm not sure that's likely though, as to use the hotspots you have to be either a Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile customer, and outside of the London Underground and the Glasgow Subway, the hotspots are generated by Virgin Fibre customer Hubs.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I think the suggestion is that it's a hotspot from another Virgin customer in the same block, or immediately adjacent.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That's the most likely scenario.

As I mentioned above though for Virgin Fibre customers, the hotspots are designed to work once you're out of range of your home WiFi, so if you can see both it usually means it won't work as it's designed to help ensure you connect to your home WiFi if your device can see it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The OP says that in the roof garden they cannot see their own WiFi but they can see the hotspot, so it must be someone else's.

If they could see their own, they would be using it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ah, I missed that.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A WiFi hotspot would only be any good if, for instance, your hub fails. In general with any network issues on cable, if your internet goes down then so does all your neighbours including the Hotspots, as they all operate off the same network segment.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@nodrogd wrote:

A WiFi hotspot would only be any good if, for instance, your hub fails. In general with any network issues on cable, if your internet goes down then so does all your neighbours including the Hotspots, as they all operate off the same network segment.

But if you take a lady-friend up to the roof-garden and want to order pizza.... You can use the hotspot! 😉

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7