cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking noise from the router

ela07mjt
Joining in

The router has suddenly started making clicking noises. They are becoming frequent and audible.

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Doesnt sound good! What Hub model is it (printed on its sticker)?

Are you having any noticeable connection issues?

I assume you have tried switching it off and unplugging it for 5 minutes and see if it still comes back when you switch it on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your response. 

Model is 3.0. Yes, I have switched it on and off but made no difference. 

speed generally drop a fair bit, when I go to the first floor. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will respond on here soon re. the noisy Hub

Speed drops on wifi with distance are normal - particularly for the "poundshop" wifi in the VM Hubs.

To get excellent whole home wifi coverage you will need to take matters into you hands and get your own better quality equipment for wifi. Or if you are on a 1GB or U.Oomph package - VM will provide a wifi Pod for free.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ela07mjt, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting 🙂 

I am sorry to hear your Hub has started making clicking noises, this is something we would need to investigate further. 

I am going to pop you over a private message to grab a few more details and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

You know I actually thought this was just something the router did because ours has done it since the day we had it. It's a fast clicking/ticking sound, like hundreds of clicks per minute.

Its driving us mad. It's so loud that with the kitchen door open we can hear the router (which is behind the TV in the corner with plenty of space around it) clicking constantly. It's even louder than the fridge humming from the kitchen. 

I honestly thought it was just something we'd have to get used to but today when the house was empty it just drove me mad and made me investigate it on here. Seems a problem that needs fixing.

We've switched it off and on, turned it upside down and put it in different places but its just the same still. 

Please can you help. Thank you  

Hi there @Rammstein94

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear you are also facing this issue! I'd be more than happy to look into this with you via a PM. 

I'll pop one across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thanks again.

Hi again,

Thanks so much for your post and I'm so sorry to hear you have been facing this issue! I'd be happy to take a closer look for you and see what we can arrange, can you just confirm the following details for me?

Are you the account holder?
What is your full name?
Can you confirm the email on the account? 
Can you confirm the value of the last bill?
Can you confirm the sort code for the direct debit?

Thank you,

Ash 

Hi Ashleigh,

Thank you for your reply. I am the account holder but can you please PM me so I can send you these details over privately. I've also got a short video of the router but it won't let me attach and send it on here.

Thank you, Marc 

Hello again, 

Thanks so much for your private message, I have now booked you a visit for your Hub issues – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.