cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £14 to call customer service about a service interruption?

procrastinator
Tuning in

My broadband service was down on Sunday 26th May and I had to make a call to customer services. Actually two calls. Just received a message from my phone provider to warn me of a premium rate number charge. So two calls, the first 12m36secs charge £5.98, and the second call 15m52sec charge £7.53!

I feel like I've been caught in a trap. How are these premium rate numbers even legal any more, do OFCOM know about that!

Thanks Virgin!

27 REPLIES 27

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Numbers are 150 on VM line/mobile or 0345 454 1111 on others - What provider are you on that has 0345 numbers as a premium rate ? It should be......

All numbers that start with 03 are charged at the same rate as standard landline numbers that start with '01' or '02'. If your phone tariff offers inclusive calls to landlines, calls to 0345 numbers will also be included on the same basis. Included in any applicable call packages, otherwise standard landline rates.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

teabag
Hero

Sounds like you found/used the old 0845 number and rang from a mobile 😞

Jot down/save the up to date 0345 454 1111 number for future calls.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.

Yes, it looks that way, a trap for the foolish customer! I wonder why they just don't reroute to 0345 automatically, instead of letting customers 'rack up' huge charges. Oh hold on, I know!

rerouting wouldn't make any difference as you'd still have called the 0845 number.
it's your carrier that charges you for that call, not Virgin Media

@chenks wrote:
rerouting wouldn't make any difference as you'd still have called the 0845 number.
it's your carrier that charges you for that call, not Virgin Media

The Access Charge would be down to your network used, but it would not surprise me if Virgin still have a Service Charge associated with that number 🤔

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.

@procrastinator wrote:
Yes, it looks that way, a trap for the foolish customer! I wonder why they just don't reroute to 0345 automatically, instead of letting customers 'rack up' huge charges. Oh hold on, I know!

It doesn't matter what number you're forwarded to by VM after calling, your phone provider bill you based on the number initially dialed as that's where your call actually goes. VM could do what some other companies do and play a message on the old 0845 number to alert people of the new number, but they probably just added the new number to the existing call trunk and left it as it is.

If you don't usually call numbers that aren't included in your mobile plan it might be worth setting a lock on anything that causes an additional charge, I've got my out of plan charge limit set to £0 to prevent any accidental mishaps such as that.

OK, let me put it another way. What purpose does the Virgin media premium rate 'customer service' number perform? Other than to 'trap' the unwary

@procrastinator wrote:
OK, let me put it another way. What purpose does the Virgin media premium rate 'customer service' number perform? Other than to 'trap' the unwary

i guess it would only be a trap if they were publishing the number for people to call, but they don't. the number published on their website is an 0800 and 0345 number.

Well, I'm sure there must be some reason for the old premium rate number still active? So, if anyone is having technical issues with their broadband and need to contact support in a hurry try calling Virgin on 0845 234 0751?