cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel selection

Milarepa
Joining in

Hello
i’m getting interference with my wireless surround sound TV speaker system.

Sony say it could be due to Wi-Fi.

I have deselected optimisation so that I can split the two signals into 2.4 and 5.

I see that my new hub five has manually selected certain channels by default

is it any disadvantage to manually change channels to see if that reduces interference?

are there any channels to avoid?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the 2.4Ghz, stick to channels 1, 6 or 11. Neighbouring hubs synchronise on these channels in a non interfering manner, but using the others means they overlap & conflict, reducing the speed of your connection.

The 5Ghz channels do not overlap, so any can be used.

An app like inSSIDer will allow you to look for congested channels at your location & avoid them.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

It could help to describe the effect of the interference.

E.g. is there constant disruption of the audio / random break through of an unexpected sounds / loss of audio / etc ...

I think it’s rather specific to the surroundsound system
it’s a Sony HTA9 wireless speaker system.

sound dropouts occur. you get random stuttering and apparently it’s thought to be linked to Wi-Fi signals

g0akc
Problem sorter

Are the drop outs when you are streaming or when you are connected to other audio sources?

As part of the troubleshooting I would try the speakers with the hub/router turned off so there's no Wi-Fi present

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!