cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing wireless channel automatically SO ANNOYING!!!!

Djjamz68
Tuning in

Can someone tell me why my wireless channel will not change it either stays at channel 1 or when I change it goes back to channel 1 virgin media stop changing my channel and settings its actually so annoying day in day out this happens and I feel like leaving this company I hate it!!!!

17 REPLIES 17

Our Hub's are set up to automatically select the strongest and least congested channel available for the devices, this is also backed up by most modern devices having smart integration where they can try to connect a certain frequency if it deems it's the best available.

We have help here for wireless network issues.

Rob

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
^in other words your screwed to what VM hub think is best
---------------------------------------------------------------

ne
On our wavelength

in the hub settings,i have disabled auto channel select, as 1 is congested, hence i have moved it away to a better channel. but even still, it goes back to 1.

--
Neil B - Big Red Shed - Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine...

Hi ne, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community. 

If the channel is changing then this may be because you have Channel Optimisation left on. The hub is designed to connect to the least congested channel after a reboot so even though channel 1 may be quite congested at times, it doesn't mean it always remains that way. 

Please 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

May be time to remove VM from the wifi equation and use your equipment.

£37 will sort it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

Pay more and get more features

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-AX10-Next-Gen-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B089DJJ5RS/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

ne
On our wavelength

as per prior post, it is disabled.

as for buying more equipment, i have plenty of spares, but i think vm need to address issues with their equipment. still stuck on one. please fix your router.

--
Neil B - Big Red Shed - Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine...

@legacy1 wrote:
Likely the public wifi overrides your channel choice.

Not my thread but thanks Legacy1, that's interesting.

On their routers, Virgin's Wifi Channel Selection seems to have a mind of its own.

Is the Public Wifi the same thing as Virgin Hotspots? their WiFi Sharing Scheme?

@DelboyMacbooth wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

Is the Public Wifi the same thing as Virgin Hotspots? their WiFi Sharing Scheme?

Yes at some point VM will remove being able to change WiFi channel  

---------------------------------------------------------------