cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing wireless channel automatically SO ANNOYING!!!!

Djjamz68
Tuning in

Can someone tell me why my wireless channel will not change it either stays at channel 1 or when I change it goes back to channel 1 virgin media stop changing my channel and settings its actually so annoying day in day out this happens and I feel like leaving this company I hate it!!!!

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model do you have? If a Hub3/4/5 is it still set toi be on a single SSID or have you separated the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? Have you changed any "smart wifi" or "channel optimisation" settings - are they activated?

I assume its in router mode and you are not using your own router?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Likely the public wifi overrides your channel choice.

Your can get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode if you want control.
---------------------------------------------------------------

its hub 3 and ive seperated the bands as i know quite a bit about optimising wifi speeds and i disabled smart wifi but the issue is i cannot change my wireless channel and its so frustrating as this always happens with virgin media only it only stays at channel 1 or if it does change it goes back to channel 1 !!!!

ahhh i see i tried doing that before but didnt know how to set up modem mode

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes getting your own better quality router and wireless equipment and putting the Hub in modem mode will certainly solve it. You will be freed from VM firmware glitches.

I did that ~20 years ago 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For info:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Djjamz68

Welcome back to our Community Help Forums 🙂

Thanks for making this post regarding your wireless channel, I'm sorry to hear it stays at channel 1. That is not ideal and I would like to apologise for any frustration caused. Have you followed @Tudor 's steps to put your Hub into Modem Mode?

Please do keep us posted on how you're getting along!

Kind regards,

Serena

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Djjamz68 wrote:

its hub 3 and ive seperated the bands as i know quite a bit about optimising wifi speeds and i disabled smart wifi but the issue is i cannot change my wireless channel and its so frustrating as this always happens with virgin media only it only stays at channel 1 or if it does change it goes back to channel 1 !!!!

Mine does this occasionally. I use channel 52 on 5Ghz as the non DFS channels are very congested (over 15 users). If there is any kind of brief power interruption the hub gets a mind of its own & either keeps throwing out my changes after a short while, or will not change the channel at all from the standard 36-48 config. I normally get out of this by turning the hub off at the mains for 10 minutes. This seems to reset it properly & it stays on channel 52 from then on.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ne
On our wavelength

mine is doing this, stick to 1, even tho other settings are off/disabled. I want it on chn 3. please fix your silly router.

--
Neil B - Big Red Shed - Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine...