cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing wifi channel on 5gHz

gnome
Dialled in

My wifi has been flaky for a while now and I got an email saying Virgin had kindly tweaked my wifi channels for me, not that there was any noticeable improvement so I decided to have a nose around.

Analyzing channels on the 5GHz network using my phone I found some underused channels around the channel 149 to 161 range but when I logged into hub3 those channels aren't available.

I don't suppose there is anyway to get the hub to see them ?

5 REPLIES 5

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gnome, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this question about your WIFI channels answered.

I am afraid we wouldn't support what you're asking as our smart WIFI controls and changes channels automatically to the best ones. 

However, I do have a link here which may help you further - Changing WIFI channel.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Megan_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Megan_L wrote:

Hi Gnome, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this question about your WIFI channels answered.

I am afraid we wouldn't support what you're asking as our smart WIFI controls and changes channels automatically to the best ones. 

However, I do have a link here which may help you further - Changing WIFI channel.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Megan_L

@Megan_L 

The link from the Hub3/4 icon does not connect - the one from the SH1/2 icon does.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gnome wrote:

Analyzing channels on the 5GHz network using my phone I found some underused channels around the channel 149 to 161 range but when I logged into hub3 those channels aren't available.

Just change it to one of the ones that are selectable on the Hub that is least in use around you.  I dont have a Hub3 - I use my own Router and mine is just set to "Automatic" - not sure if you have that optiion.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I know how to change the channels, it is just that the Hub 3 doesn't immediately offer the channels I would like to change to (around channels 149-161).

I am a bit more annoyed that VM decided to fiddle (uninvited) to my settings, making things worse.

I am not even sure I am happy with VM remotely monitoring wifi signals on my side of the Router.

But, hey ho, just need to spend most of the weekend trying to get back to the best wifi settings

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gnome wrote:

I am a bit more annoyed that VM decided to fiddle (uninvited) to my settings, making things worse.

I am not even sure I am happy with VM remotely monitoring wifi signals on my side of the Router.

Me and lots of others too 😎 

Which is why we only ever use a Hub as a modem and get our own wireless router - so we have full control of what we can do.

--------------------
John
--------------------