Menu
ryanicholson1
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Changing my IP in modem mode HELP

After needing to change my IP fairly regularly for betting reasons I have looked endlessly online and found out I need a 3rd party router and to then put my super hub 3 into modem mode. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. What 3rd party routers do people recommend and any specific requirement I need to look out for?

2. How is the 3rd party router connected to the router, ethernet?

3. Is setting up the new router simply just plugging it into the superhub and connecting via password or does this require specific programming?

4. Once set up and I've got my new IP how / can I go about changing my IP when I want? I don't want to be flicking between 2 IP addresses when I go in and out of modem mode.

Once this is cleared up I hope people can find this for reference in the future as I know many people are interested in changing their IP and I haven't found a single guide or FAQ about this topic. By the way I know virgin provide residential customers with dynamic IP addresses but they're in fact 'sticky' because they work off of MAC addresses or something. I don't know the details but want to put that out there before someone told me it should change automatically.

Appreciate any help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing my IP in modem mode HELP

Your IP will change but ideally not the way you want.

What betting reasons are their for needing to change your IP?

0 Kudos
ryanicholson1
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

what do you mean change but not the way I want, my IP has stayed the same since I got virgin 3 months ago? This is quite poor from virgin that they don't give you an option to change your IP if their 'dynamic' service is basically a lie. With sky I could reset my IP so easily just disconnect my router within its settings and reconnecting - shame they don't offer cheap fibre Smiley Sad

I need to change my IP as my and my brother match bet.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So the rules are one bet per IP? Maybe use a VPN.

0 Kudos
ryanicholson1
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Essentially yeah looked into a VPN however that's costly over a long period of time as well as VPN's are supposedly banned from the bookies and players won't get their sign up offers using a VPN however I'm not sure how detectable this is as most of website I can get away using same IP. Can you even detect if someone's using a VPN? I also shouldn't have to pay for something that virgin should provide free however a one off 3rd party router may have to do 

Do you know any answers to my 4 questions?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

VM may have in place a limit to the number of times you can change your IP with a 3rd party router by changing its MAC then power off the hub for 2mins to allow a change.

A 3rd party router will be mostly plug and go out the box by DHCP.

Here's one I suggest others will suggest others.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1BZ7FY/ref=psdc_430579031_t3_B00YG1BHG0

0 Kudos
ryanicholson1
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

thank you very much for the help, another question - how would I got about changing the MAC address of the router itself, would that just be in the router setting or do I need to know my stuff to be able to change that and program it?

So basically the answer to number 4 is it would change between the 2 IP's unless I change the MAC of the 3rd party router to then get a new IP?

seems like there's no solution to this not sure why virgin can't provide a simple fix - the amount of people I've seen on forums regarding DDOS attacks and virgin do nothing to help them when an IP change is the solution

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Their will be a setting to change the MAC and or clone a MAC of a device to get a new IP.

VM can't do a simple fix its just the way it is and its a divide as some people like a long dynamic IP but it can change.
0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
Their will be a setting to change the MAC and or clone a MAC of a device to get a new IP.

VM can't do a simple fix its just the way it is and its a divide as some people like a long dynamic IP but it can change.

you can't "change the mac address" of a router, it's hardcoded into the hardware.
you can spoof a new mac but that is on quite dodgy grounds and you'd essentially be using the mac address of another device that exists somewhere in the world.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

you can't "change the mac address" of a router, it's hardcoded into the hardware.

Not talking about the hub

0 Kudos