cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing DHCP settings cause Wi-Fi to turn off

A123456
Tuning in

I’m setting a device to a static IP address and every time I click on apply changes in the DHCP settings the Wi-Fi switches off. 
I had it set on my previous router. Engineer changed my router yesterday to a Hub 3.0. The device has the IP in its settings, I’ve been using it for 2 years.
I logged into my router, got the IP the device is on, set it to the IP I want (not in use by anything else) and set the rule. All ok until I click apply changes, that’s when the Wi-Fi switches off. I’ve tried it on 5g & 2.4g, both switch off. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I will also be using port forwarding with this static IP. 

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its time to use your own router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this the WiFi on the Hub disables, or the WiFi on the device stops working? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for replying. 
I’ve run a test and it’s the wi-fi at the hub that goes off, not just the device. 
I can now successfully ping the static IP address of my device but can’t SSH into it like I did previously. Despite the wi-fi switching off, it seems to have eventually done what I wanted it to do, the problem may now lie elsewhere. 

I don’t want to do that and although it still switches off when I make any changes to DHCP, it seems to have, finally, accepted the rule.

I'd not noticed the WiFi out.

Could it be the Hub 3 is expiring all the DHCP IP leases, prior to re-starting the DHCP server with the revised Reserved IP Addresses list.

From a previous post entering a Hub 3 Reserved IP Addresses had failed to work due to the browser. I'm suspecting the Chrome browser.

Using Firefox we can manage the Reserved IP Addresses without issues.

Hi, thanks for the reply. 
yes, I’m using chrome browser. It didn’t occur to me I could be a browser issue! I’ll try a different browser.