Menu
ljcloveslife
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changed to virgin media hub 3.0 - FITBIT ARIA and smart plugs not working

SKY wireless connector used for SKY On Demand.JPGSKY wireless connector used for SKY On DemandThe ARIA and other devices like URANT wifi plugs which used to work if you previously had SKY or other network provider will start working again if you follow this.  The problem is that the Virgin 3.0 hub does not connect with devices which use 802.11b (Aria Fitbit scale etc).  You need to get a range extender or use SKY wireless connector to connect to the Virgin network and then broadcast the network.  Your nonworking devices will join the Virgin network via the range extender and work happily.  To use the old Sky wireless connector (SKY on demand box) plug it in to the mains and press the WPS button on both the router and the wireless connector box.  When the 'wireless' button on the sky connector box is lit up, you are now broadcasting the Virgin network in a way that the old devices using 802.11b can join.  I used a lot of brain cells to work this out but HURRAY!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changed to virgin media hub 3.0 - FITBIT ARIA and smart plugs not working

Really? Hub 3.0 can, of course, accommodate such devices if correctly configured. See the relevant page from the Hub 3.0 user interface:

995566D8-48AC-4986-8BFC-31864F511C27.png

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just so I understand right, is the Fitbit Aria a recent device, and is the URANT plug also recent? Just 802.11b is quite old at this point (standard from 1999) and has been replaced, even cost saving couldn't be factored into being a reason why a recent device would go with it as 802.11g/n radios are likely cheaper as more of them are produced.

In my case I'd have to enable legacy support mode for my wifi gear to even broadcast an 802.11b network. Legacy support giving the implication that the only things requiring specifically an 802.11b network shouldn't be recent.

Edit: Having just looked the Fitbit Aria up, as far as I can tell the first model is from 2015, in which case it's an insult to anyone who bought it that it used a 16 year old obsoleted wireless technology rather than any of the more recent ones.

0 Kudos
ljcloveslife
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I tried all the settings on the hub, but the ARIA would not connect to the wifi.  This caused the battery to run down as it kept trying to connect.  My solution at least connects the ARIA to the network and enables the scale to be used as a normal scale.  The fitbit app still won't connect to the Aria scale though.  The URANT plugs are now working in an app (Broadlink) and (econtrol).  They did not work before.  Maybe someone else will find this helpful.  Sorry if my post irked you.  Have a lovely day.

0 Kudos
ljcloveslife
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This reply is a duplicate posted to another response.

Thank you.  I tried all the settings on the hub, but the ARIA would not connect to the wifi.  This caused the battery to run down as it kept trying to connect.  My solution at least connects the ARIA to the network and enables the scale to be used as a normal scale.  The fitbit app still won't connect to the Aria scale though.  The URANT plugs are now working in an app (Broadlink) and (econtrol).  They did not work before.  Maybe someone else will find this helpful.  Sorry if my post irked you.  Have a lovely day.

0 Kudos