cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IP address

kinloch37
Just joined

Hi 

I have just had virgin Media installed at my home address and I am currently working friom home however my Employer needs me to be able to change my IP address on request 

Is there a way to set thgis up even if it  requires me to purchase more equipment or get a technician in to set it up 

The house has just been rewired with Network cables added to each room 

Many thanks for your help 

7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

The only way to do this is to purchase your own router, put the VM hub into modem mode which disables the WiFi, so your own router has to do that function itself. This will change your public IP address to something else.

But, I'm really fascinated with why your employer might want you to change IP address on demand, (actually no, that's not how things work), and how on Earth they expect you to do that? Change it to what, a particular address (not going to happen - ever), just change it to something else randomly?

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

No you can’t do that. And why would your employer require that?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The short answer is no. WAN IP addresses are automatically assigned by VMs equipment. There is no way to force change these & you certainley cannot select your own on any residential type connection, be it with Virgin or someone else. On a business connection maybe.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe they mean your LAN IP? so you don't conflict with a VPN subnet.

You can change your WAN IP randomly with your own router by changing MAC's (ideally ones you own) but thats about it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

BaldrickBravo
Superfast

@kinloch37 wrote:

my Employer needs me to be able to change my IP address on request 

This is very odd.
I would pocket veto it. Nod and agree with your employer and carry on as you are.

If they insist, you can ask your employer to provide an internet connection for you that meets their requirements at their own expense, because as the other posters have already pointed out, what they are asking for is impractical.

If they have a problem with your local networks IP address range, they again can solve that themselves. They shouldn't really be using anything in the 16-bit block RFC 1918 IP address range themselves if it causes problems.

Why not use a VPN similar to Proton VPN and that means everytime you need to change your ip you can select a new VPN tunnel, thus changing your IP on demand

@ST4 wrote:

Why not use a VPN similar to Proton VPN and that means everytime you need to change your ip you can select a new VPN tunnel, thus changing your IP on demand

This is a really bad idea for work use.

1/ The OP is probably VPNing into an office/data centre so that would be running a VPN tunnel of a VPN tunnel - that's not going to play too nicely performance-wise.

2/ VPN end-points are popular with scam artists. Many unified network security products/VPN accelerators/SaaS solutions will flag any attempted authorisations from those IPs as suspicious and block them.

3/ It will look to any network administrators/IT staff like the OP is trying to hack the company.