cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IP address using modem mode

edison65
Joining in

I'm trying to change my seemingly static IP, but CS said that my Hub 3 is linked to that IP from start and can't simply change it, either use a VPN or put it in modem mode and using another router I can get a new IP.

I'm not good with networking, so I wonder how it's done. I have a TP-Link Archer AX50 which should be able to do MAC cloning, but I don't understand the whole process to force an IP change.

Anyone managed to get a new IP like this before?

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

Your public IP is unlikely to be static unless you have a business account or are paying for one somehow - however the public IP address for your hub is 'linked' to the MAC address of the hub/router on VM and will rarely change.

If you connect your own router, using DHCP, with the hub in modem mode, it will have a different MAC address to the hub and will therefore solicit a new public IP address from the Virgin Network servers using the BOOTP/DHCP process.

There's no need to bother with MAC cloning (though that will let you change it again and again in the future).

Thousands of people will have obtained a new IP address this way as did I.

Put your hub in modem mode and set up your own router appropriately.  You may need to reboot during the process - there are details in other posts on here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @edison65 

Try the following method to set it all up:-

Put your router into DHCP mode - then remove all cables switch it off at the mains
Put Hub into modem mode - leave it 5 minutes and then switch it off.
Switch your router on - then connect the ethernet cable to the Hub
Switch the Hub on - leave 5-10 mins - and it should now be connected optimally.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

carl_pearce
Community elder

Your HUB will have two 'sticky' Public IPs, one in router mode, and another in modem mode.

You cannot change them.