cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change 5G name on hub 5.

mattcotterill
Joining in

Hello. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. However, I've just set up my Hub 5 and wasn't able to rename my 5G WiFi or change the password for it within the security settings. Whatever, I typed in the 2.4G name/password automatically copied itself to the 5G boxes. 

You can see from the pictures that the 5G settings boxes are greyed out and can't be typed in them.

In the other picture you'll see in the WiFi signal settings I'm having the same problem that the settings aren't accessible to me.

After a few days I thought I'd try turning off the smart wifi and see if it made any difference. As soon as smart wifi was off I could access the setting for wifi security and the wifi signal. Is this the normal functionality of the hub 5 or is it a bug? I spoke to customer services on the phone about it and they had no idea and just said I needed a technician to look before I fixed it myself. Very bizarre.

Screenshot_20221111-112120_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221111-112103_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Smart wifi bonds the 2 channels into 1 SSID - so you cant rename/separate them.

Turning that off allows you to do that.

Some say the Hub5 firmware is still "buggy" and so the changes may just spontaneously revert at some point

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Smart wifi bonds the 2 channels into 1 SSID - so you cant rename/separate them.

Turning that off allows you to do that.

Some say the Hub5 firmware is still "buggy" and so the changes may just spontaneously revert at some point

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I assumed this must have been the case once I turned it off. You'd think the customer services would have know this and told me though.

@mattcotterill wrote:

I assumed this must have been the case once I turned it off. You'd think the customer services would have know this and told me though.

Indeed, anyone might be forgiven for thinking that the CS staff aren't actually trained on anything other than reading a set of scripted responses on a screen! I mean some people might well think that, but we have been assured that all staff are, and I quote, 'trained to the same high standard'!