Menu
DelroyIrving
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cant see 5ghz on hub3

Hi I have recently had my old cream-crackered SH2 replaced with the SH3. Now I am unable to see 5ghz networks transmitted from the SH3. My devices had no issues with finding and connecting to 5ghz on the SH2.

I have so far separated the networks by changing the ssid for the 5ghz connection (imaginatively adding 5g to the end!). This made no difference. I have tried setting the channel to manual and have gone through every available channel (36-140ish) still no joy. Adjusted frequencies btw 20/40 etc... to no avail. Have also adjusted the mode from n to ac blah blah still with no joy. I have also tried a manual connection to the renamed 5ghz ssid but this has not worked. I have also used a wifi analyser and can't see a single 5ghz network. I am currently using a galaxy s7 all up to date. I also can't see it on my wife's S7, an S4, a fairly new 10" android tablet, a win10 tablet or any of my roku based tv boxes.

Please can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant see 5ghz on hub3

Hi DelroyIrving,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F006449744 for SNR and FECS. The current review date is 16/08/2018.

Please give this thread a bump closer to the time and we will get an update for you.

Speak to you soon.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

DelroyIrving
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma, is this an on the fly fix you can send to my router?

Thanks

Delroy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try this in the meantime...

If you haven’t already done this, access your Hub settings (go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1  in your browser) and do what is suggested in this thread to disable smart wireless - and at the same time what is suggested below it

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  This “confuses” many devices as they can continually flit from one to t’other.   So the first job is to change that:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best for being more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 though.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
DelroyIrving
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi JBrennand, thanks for the advice. I have already done all of that and left it set up in a separate 5ghz config before going on holiday. I think Virgin must have done an on the fly update for the identified error on my router while I was on holiday. Last night I did a power down reboot on my router and it seems to have done the trick. Can now see the separate 5ghz channel and connect fine. A quick speed test gives a steady 98mb line on my mobile. Smiley Happy

Many thanks to all who have assisted with my issue. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Del

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread regarding this DelroyIrving,

I'm sorry for the initial trouble experienced.

Great to hear that this has since been resolved for you though! Smiley Happy

Let us know if we can assist with anything further,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos