cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access locally hosted server on pot 80/443

52user
Joining in

I have had a server running at home for years all while using Virgin SH3 and now a SH5. I have done this by configuring port forwards and using dynamic DNS.

All of a sudden this week I have lost access to ports 80 & 443 whilst on ethernet or Wifi from home when I try and connect to the DDNS name. It continues to work while on Mobile data or using a VPN. DDNS is fine as I can still use ssh on a different port to connect.

I suspect a firmware update or some new feature has been applied to my router as at midnight a couple of nights ago i saw my router LED flashing.

Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No NAT loopback support look to get your own router and put hub in modem mode.

other way is to edit the hosts file on PC with DDNS to 192.168.0.xxx

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 thanks for the reply. This has been working for years and only stopped this week. Has NAT support changed? also i can still ssh to myddns.domain from behind the virgin router to my server. it just seems to no work for port 80/443

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The one doing the firmware can code NAT loopback for given set ports.

For me I have the option for NAT loopback on my router but choose not to use it if I want to test my server I have bind point me to the isolated LAN IP (with a custom NAT and routing rule) or I test by VPN.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, just reconfigured my server and added some new port forwards using 9443 and all works as expected. Guess something is blocking port 80 and 443 access.

@52user wrote:

Also, just reconfigured my server and added some new port forwards using 9443 and all works as expected. Guess something is blocking port 80 and 443 access.

When reading through this thread earlier, I did think that is was suggestive that 80 and 443 didn’t work but SSH did, which indicates that hairpin or loop back NAT is still actually working.

Unfortunately real life work got in the way of my responding at the time  to suggest a different port range.

Quick (rhetorical) question, what ports does the hub’s web interface use? And why might the hub get confused as to what to do with traffic on those ports?

If it used to work then presumably a firmware update has changed the behaviour.

John