cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot print to wifi printer

Dhosfield
Joining in

Hi

I have been using an Epson wifi printer for several years but just recently it will not print using wifi.  I have logged into the Superhub 3 and manually changed channel setting  2.4 ghz frequency until I found a channel it would print on which turned out to be Channel 2.  I did this yesterday and the printer worked all day OK.  Today when I switched on my pc and the printer it would not print again. So I tried all the channels on 2.4 ghz to no avail.  The other devices using this channel are a Tivo box (which seems to flip from 5ghz to 2.4 at will), and a recently purchased LG tv which is sitting immediately above the hub.  When I switched the TV off just now the printer was connecting and printing so I assume there must be a conflict between the printer and the TV using 24 ghz.  Is it possible to get the TV to only use 5 ghz so the 2.4 is available only to the printer and nothing else? Do I need to rename the two SSIDs for 2.4 and 5?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have been caught by ‘the badly written code syndrome’. FYI the 169.x.x.x you saw assigned is what a device generates itself when it can not obtain an address from a DHCP server.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It won't be a "conflict" between multiple devices, because wifi protocols were designed for multiple concurrent use, but your suggestion of renaming the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands with different names should sort it out.  Many devices can't cope with the 2.4 and 5 GHz signals sharing the same name.  You may also want to turn off the automatic channel selection  and channel optimisation features, as those can sometimes cause problems with the "dimmer" wifi devices, and since you're going to be in settings, turn off Guest wifi if you don't use it - no point giving the hub more work to do than it has to.

So, I've done all that. I now have two networks with separate names. I have connected PC to the 2.4 ghz network and the printer as well. I have reinstalled the printer to this network and have downloaded a WiFi analyzer which shows that Channel 1 is the strongest channel to use so I have set this SSID to use that Channel.

HOWEVER, nothing will print still. I just get an error message. From the printer's own on board menu I have printed out a Check Network connection report which indicates "A router/access point channel conflict has been detected, If you have problems printing or scanning, improve your wireless network environment."

So it appears that renaming the two SSIDs didn't work. I am now at a loss as to what to do.

Any suggestions welcome.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you changed the SSID names did you also change the SSID name in the printer or reset to ship state and scan for available SIDS? The message you are receiving indicates to me that it is trying to connect to the “old” SSID. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yup. I changed the network settings on the printer as well. But when the printer tries to connect to the network it fails although the hub is showing it as connected.

I did a print out of the network status direct from the printer's control panel which indicates the IP address as 169.254.224.108 whereas the IP address shown in the hub for the printer is 192.168.0.14/24.  I cannot physically change this on the printers control panel as the field sizes are not the correct size but maybe I shouldn't change it anyway.  I'm a bit out of my depth here now though I have  just deleted the printer and reinstalled it but still cannot print anything. 

Finally after much messing about I resolved the issue. I reserved the IP address on the hub then installed it manually via the printer's own set up screen. I realised that to input 1 I needed to type 001 and for 14 I needed to input 014. So for now it all works.

Thanks for your help.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have been caught by ‘the badly written code syndrome’. FYI the 169.x.x.x you saw assigned is what a device generates itself when it can not obtain an address from a DHCP server.

Tudor

Hi

I have the same issue with the same router and an Epson printer. I have logged into the router and had a quick go at manually reserving the IP address but quickly got into trouble. 

Any chance you could post a step by step guide for those a little less IT savvy?