Menu
Highlighted
Jafanet
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cannot obtain Ip address to wifi from any of our mobile devices

Have lost Wi-Fi connection from all our mobile devices in household. Tried pairing and doesn't fix problem. Can you suggest anything.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot obtain Ip address to wifi from any of our mobile devices

whats the lights on the hub doing - maybe you have a fault 

have you checked a wired connection

Tony
Jafanet
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony all sorted now, not quite 100% Sure how lol! Had to do a diagnostic scan and and fixed from there somehow.

0 Kudos
splodge99
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just joined the community as we were having problems with our phones picking up IP Address and I picked up on this existing call.

I am not sure I should be messing about with my HUB 3 and restarting it all the time just so that we can get connected.

It is very intermittent some times taking many attempts to get a connection or else just fails all together.

We potentially have 7 devices which we need to have connected concurrently. Is there a limit.

Note it does not matter where we are in the house this issue is present even when in the same room as the HUB.

This is extremely frustrating we only went to cable as we were looking for a more reliable connection.

This does seem to be a HUB 3 issue as when things do get an IP address everything is fine.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Roger 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try this as an experiment to see if it helps your issue.  Also say what phone makes/models you have.

Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation" - save changes.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. 

Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each phone to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is always better and subject to less interference (and is better for  iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.  Also, use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move your 2.4 channel to one of.. 1,6 or 11..  that is being less used.   

See if that helps - you will lose the “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter in your location and you can always do a pinhole"factory" reset and put it back if you prefer the way it was or it doesn’t help. 

Here is an example where it has worked albeit for a different issue.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Phone-connected-to-WiFi-but-laptop-not-onli...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
splodge99
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I did as you said and it seems we may have problems with the 5GHz channel.

The actual devices connected via wifi here are a desktop PC, a laptop PC, a wireless printer, a Google Nexus 7 tablet, an iPhone 4C and a Samsung Galaxy S7. So quite a range of different devices all connecting wirelessly.

When I try to connect any device to the 5GHz channel it does not get an IP address even if the device is physically next to the HUB. The slower speed link connects instantaneously when physically next to the HUB.

It would seem that the smart wifi is causing the effect that it sometime connects and sometime does not depending on where the device is in the house.

My wife tells me that it does work on her iPhone 4C for a while if she switches the router off and then on again. It will however fail once more a short time later.

Could there be some interference causing this problem or could there be a fault on the HUB? 

Thanks again,

Roger

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I know for a fact (I had one) that the 4c doesn't have 5GHz capability - that will never connect to the 5 network. I thought that was also true of the 2012 Nexus 7 - not sure about newer models. I also know that some people have had problems connecting the S7 to 5GHz wifi - depending on which Andrex version they have. I suspect your printer will be 2.4 only (most are) and leads me to question whether your PC and laptop have 5GHz enabled wifi cards ?
I would look there first and a ask a friend/neighbour with say a new iPhone 7/8/X (or similar) to drop in for a cuppa and see if they can connect ok on wifi - before trashing the Hub

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
splodge99
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. I thought that my S7 could do 5. It is just a pity that the hub is not clever enough to try 2.5 if 5 will not connect. Every thing does seem to be connecting on 2.5 now with the optimisation off so I will leave it like that until I I can check out all our tech. I think that missing support for 5 is the issue here.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos