Menu
liamant
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cannot map network NAS drives since Virgin install

Hi folks, new here, so be gentle with me, please!

I just had Virgin fibre installed, and Hub 3.0. I have a Synology DS215j networked NAS drive, with 4 partitions (music, home, photos, videos). Prior to Virgin, (with BT), I had the 4 NAS partitions mapped as network drives v: w: x: and y: These mapped on reboot.

NAS is connected to a network switch, as is my Virgin Hub, and my PC. Since Virgin, the drives no longer map. The Synology NAS appears in Windows Explorer, and the photo / video files etc are available on my Smart TV as previously, and the music files are available to my SONOS, so there's no issue with the drive.

I can ping the NAS drive from my PC (Windows 7) - no issues.

The Hub appears as IP address 192.168.0.1. All the other devices (SONOS etc) are 192.168.0.x. The IP address for the Synology NAS is 192.168.0.19, and in Synology assistant, the default gateway is 192.168.0.1.

The NAS appears in Network maps in Windows Explorer.

When I try and manually map the network drives, I get the message "The network path was not found. This connection has not been restored."

I've searched similar threads on here, but not found an answer that works. I just want my mapped drives back!

Thanks in advance.

L

Capture1.PNG

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot map network NAS drives since Virgin install

Are you manually mapping the shares by IP address or NETBIOS name (whatever the Synology is called)?

This will sound a bit pointless but I've found it often helps to just eliminate the oddball issues. On your W7 machine setup a constant ping to the Synology address ie ping 192.1680.19 -t and while that's running, pull the ethernet cable out of the Synology for a few seconds and then reconnect it. Check the W7 machine and see if the ping responses are lost for the few times and then resume - just want to check if the machine is actually talking to what you think it's talking to.

If you are connecting by name then that points to a resolution issue.
0 Kudos
liamant
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jem.

I *think* I'm mapping by name .... \\LIAMSYNOLOGYNAS\home etc

When ping 192.168.0.19 -t, and pull the ethernet cable out, packets are not returned. So deffo the right device.

Cheers

L

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes you are connecting by name, my apologies when I looked earlier I couldn't see the screenshot for some reason.

Right then we have the right IP address so what happens if you ping LIAMSYNOLOGYNAS ie can the PC resolve the name correctly to the IP address?

Next thing would be to go START / RUN

and then in the run dialog box enter

//192.168.0.19/ and just hit return
0 Kudos
liamant
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

doesn't look to be resolving the name correctly, and I'm not sure about the START / RUN bit?

Capture2.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My apologies, it's actually been a while since I've used Windows 7, what I mean is hit the start button and see if there is a RUN command listed. It should open a small dialog box with a single line into which you can type a command (in this case //192.168.0.9/), hit Return and it executes.

Still if we've worked out that the PC isn't resolving the name correctly, we'll need to check that out. We could force it with an entry in the HOSTS file but that's a bit of a nuclear option since if you ever need to change the Synology's IP address then that file will need to be re-edited to suit.

We can try this

Open up a command prompt window and type in

net use x: /d

This will make your PC forget about the remembered connection from X: to the photo share

Now type in

net use x: \\192.168.0.9\photo

Ideally this will now reconnect the x: drive to the share called photo on the device with IP address 192.168.0.9. If it works then theoretically we can do the same with the other shared folders and map them to a drive letter. But before you proceed with this firstly, drop the new x: share

net use x: /d

and reconnect as above but add the /p switch (P for persistent so it is remembered after a machine reboot)

net use x: \\192.168.0.9\photo /p

etc.

Note that if in the future the Synology gets a different IP address then again these shares will break so they'll need to be recreated.

Ideally we need to try to work out why the PC is not resolving the name correctly. It may be that there is an entry in the HOSTS file for that name which is now pointing to the wrong address. The Synology may have picked up a new address when you moved from BT to Virgin but unless the HOSTS file is changed to suit it'll point to the old address.

As a matter of interest if you do ping the Synology by name, what address does it return? You've probably answered this in the screenshot above which for some reason I can't see - is there a time delay on viewing attached images I wonder?
0 Kudos
liamant
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jem.

Run command doesn't take us anywhere: "Windows cannot find //192.168.0.19. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again".

Dropping the shared x drive, and recreating, that works - I can see the files on the shared drive now. However in case it's significant - I needed to enter the admin password for the NAS:

Capture4.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I'll drop and remake the remaining connections at some point this afternoon. Is it possible to edit the entries into the HOSTS file - where does that reside?

In the interests of completeness, when I ping the NAS by name, it's not found:

Capture5.PNG

Thanks Again.

L

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I recommend either setting a fixed IP address or a DDNS which Synology calls QuickConnect. I use an IP address within my DHCP range and the mapping always works.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you want to have a go the file lives in

c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc    (don't ask!)

It's a raw text file but importantly it has no file extension, so if you browse to this location, find the file just called hosts, right click on it and select Open With (without a file extension, Windows can't tell what type of file it is and hence doesn't know how to open it just by double-clicking), and then select Notepad, it will open and you can see the raw test within it. There's a few examples listed but the bit you want is at the bottom. The version on my machines looks like this

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
172.22.57.10            HOST01
192.168.254.10        PT-HOST01
192.168.254.11        PT-HOST02

There's little risk in my showing this at the IP addresses are all private so not routable and the names don't mean anything to anyone, but as you can see HOST01 (which is a Hyper-V host server at home) has the address 172.22.57.10 so if I ping it by name the PC picks up the address from the HOST file and returns 172.22.57.10.

So you will need to add an additional entry at the bottom which reads

192.168.0.19        LIAMSYNOLOGYNAS 

It's not actually case-sensitive and you can TAB or just put a few spaces (at least one) between the address and the name.

Then Save the changed file - now, sometimes you hit an issue where Windows decides that the location c:\windows\system32\drives\etc is a bit too sensitive to allow you to make changes to files there directly. If it does then save the document elsewhere (say on your desktop) but make sure that it's called hosts with no extension - so not hosts.txt, watch out for the Windows setting which hides extension names. Once saved copy it to the right location, Windows might throw up a UAC prompt but if you have local admin rights then you should be OK.

Then check that there is only one hosts file in that location, if there are two then what's happened is the one you just copied had a hidden extension on it after all. If you see only one, then a little trick is to try opening it as above and see if the new entry you added is there.

This takes effect immediately, no need to reboot, so now just try to ping the Synology by name and it should return the right address. If it does then your existing drive mappings and credentials should just work.

0 Kudos
liamant
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Jem -

magnificent replies - I can't thank you enough. Everything worked just exactly as you posted. I'd never have got to dropping and remounting those partitions by myself.

Really great response. Thanks again.

Cheers

L

0 Kudos