cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect devices to Wifi with "failed to obtain IP address" message

User2023
Tuning in

Virgin "super hub 2ac" was working fine with no issues with ALL the home devices connected as of Thurs 27/4/23 when we went to bed.

This morning several devices were not connected, this is strange as it had never happened before with so many devices.

1. Rebooted the hub several times inc Reset, the 2 andriod phones and plug in security cameras (both are the same make and model) would not connect and the message "failed to obtain IP address" appears on the hand held devices

2. Removed and Forget the wifi on the hand held devices, rebooted the hub, searched and found the wifi and tried to connect again, same message

3. Logged into the hub with he credentials as found on the base of the hub, another thread said try naming the 5Ghz name with additional suffix "_5" (its a duel band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz hub), same message

The laptop, Win 11 Home on Wifi 6E (802.11ax) DID NOT lose connection to the 5Ghz all this time while everything went belly up with other devices in the house

No point contacting VM's customer care, they are useless and wanted £xx if the fault is not with them or their equipment when the engineer comes out.....in 2 weeks time!!

Can someone give me some pointers how to fix this?? Happened out of no where this morning and I'm totally lost.

8 REPLIES 8

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Check for local faults on 0800 561 0061. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

User2023
Tuning in

UPDATE:

Called VM again this morning, going through the Security Verification procedure was painful with the call operator, some of the questions asked were:

1. "What is the due date of your bill" - There is NO DUE date as says on my account with the screen in front of me when I was on the call. What the VM op meant was "Payment Due By Date".

2. "What is the amount you pay each month" - £40.45. VM op said this was incorrect even though I read this amount out from seeing it on the screen in front of me

3. "What broadband package are you on" - M125. VM op said this was incorrect even though I read this out from what I see on the screen in front of me

What followed, a painful 35 minutes of him asking me to perform a number of procedures which I had already told him I had performed the previous day, did not solve the connection issues. Most of the time I could not understand a word he was saying with his thick Indian(?) accent.

When he said "there is no problem with the connection", it was time for me to give up, my time is precious having spend a good part of the previous day going through the same procedures and now a good part of 40 mins this morning.

Got transferred to the Disconnection dept and gave 30 days notice to cease service as I am now out of contract.

Yes I will only have connection with ONE device, my main laptop, and other items such as security camera and smart mains plugs will have no connection for the next 30 days but I'd rather sign up with a new ISP tomorrow where I can get the hardware from the shop and switched on and who has a Technical Dept that can provide proper support to solve issues with proper English speaking ops. This VM op went through his check list, followed by looking through this Forum/Community for answers, something that I had done myself prior to calling.

Speaking to my neighbour afterwards, they got rid of their VM 2 years ago when they had similar poor experience with the Tech Dept when they had issues. Looks like nothing have improved.

Good Morning @User2023, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the services.

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this for you, to see if I can offer any further assistance.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

User2023
Tuning in

Sat 29/4/23 - notification given to Virgin Media (VM) for cessation of broadband services, SMS confirmation received.

Was informed by the female operator that I will receive items in the post to mail back the equipment within "10 days".

10 CALENDER DAYS from Sat 29/4/23 is Tues 9/5/23

10 WORKING DAYS from Sat 29/4/23 is Mon 15/5/23

NOTHING has been received in the post. Why do I have to do the donkey work and make progress when its the responsibility of VM to mail me ALL the necessary items to return the equipment?

I want to return all equipment BEFORE the 30 day is up as I have no confidence in your services.

Someone from VM pls advice.

Hi @User2023,

I do apologise for any inconvenience here. It appears there may have been some crossed wires, as the returns packaging is sent within 10 working days after the disconnection has been completed and not when the disconnection has been requested.

You can find more information on returning equipment here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

User2023
Tuning in

Earlier today, Wed 17/5/23, I requested for Returns Packaging to be send to me, I have screen grab to demonstrate this for factual evidence.

At the point of cancelling my service on Sat 29/4/23 with your female staff with a thick Indian accent, she informed that the cancellation information would be in my account when I log in when I asked if an email confirmation would be send me to. I have just logged into my VM account, this piece of info is no where to be found.

I have the SMS confirmation of the cancellation that was received from you on Sat 29/4/23 after I came off the phone call to her for factual evidence.

Your staff is telling me one thing but its actually the complete opposite, total inconsistent and wasting my time to follow and check if you are delivering what you said you would.

User2023
Tuning in

VM Admin - please advice how long I have to wait for the requested returns packaging to arrive from requested date as says above, Wed 17/5/23.

I am holding off from booking an important family trip to visit sick relatives because of the delay you have caused so far.

Hi @User2023 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. OK so if you've cancelled on the 29th April, it's thirty days notice. So cancellation would be 29th May. Returns packaging is sent 14 days after this date. Due to the personal situation, I'll send you a PM now.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill