Menu
anilmshah
Just joined
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cannot Access Hargreaves Lansdown Website 3 days

Does anyone else have similar problem? For 3 days I have been unable to access my usual home page website at Hargreaves Lansdown.  I have tried 4 different browsers; I can access all my usual email and websites but just not the Hargreaves web site https://www.hl.co.uk

Some DNS problem which is not even listed on service status.

The people at HL say it is confined to Virgin Media Users. And it seems only to be affecting their website. I have tried quite a few of their pages with different URLs. None can be reached

I can access by phone using Mobile Data but not when wi-fi is switched on/

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot Access Hargreaves Lansdown Website 3 days

can you post a traceroute to the site using your virginmedia connection, guide -> https://kb.intermedia.net/article/682 this will show where its getting blocked/stopped since the most common cause is the hosting companies firewall

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
DJohnD
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

anilmshah  I've had exactly the same problem & experience these last 3 days ie can access only from mobile with Virgin WiFi switched off. Tried the suggested solution but got lost. Did you resolve yours ?

DJohnD
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My works machine uses Pulse Secure but even from home with VM wifi was able to sign unto HL. So opened Pulse Secure on my home machine and there you go can get onto hl.co.uk but when turned off cannot ! Anyone know why ? Don't want to do this forever.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No problems logging in from here.

0 Kudos
MoHawk
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes same problem here. I spoke to HL and they said that it's mainly affecting London Virgin Media customers. HL customer service had no idea what the nature of the problem was but that it was all "in the jurisdiction of VM". ie it's a VM problem and up to them to fix it.

HL were unable to give a time estimate for correction of the problem.
0 Kudos
SAWelshman
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had this problem, but managed to resolve it by changing DNS settings on my PC. The problem is that the default DNS server provided by Virgin Media no longer resolves the hl.co.uk domain. This is a fairly serious problem since this is the site for one of the premier UK fund management platforms.

I changed my DNS settings to use Google's DNS servers instead of Virgin Media's. The IP addresses for these servers are 8.8.8.8 and (as alternate) 8.8.4.4

There's a good guide to how to change DNS settings on a Windows 10 PC at windowscentral.com  I'm giving the link https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

Regards 

0 Kudos
aahmad1811
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is a dns server issue. Change your local DNS settings on your computer to Google DNS, then revert back once virgin media have resolved the issue on their DNS. After doing that you should be able to access the site.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

0 Kudos
MoHawk
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mine is working again now - the issue seems to have been resolved?
0 Kudos