cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Contract

hwthood
Just joined

Have been trying to cancel my contract for the past two hours and have had no luck. Tried over the phone and by text and have been either hung up on or left on delivered.

I'm moving out of my student house in 30 days and just want to cancel this contract. Is there ANYTHING else I can do?????

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes - do it in writing.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

Cancel In writing to…

Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Include dates, name, address and all account details. They say to also include your phone number so they can call you to confirm - probably to make you an offer to stay.

Do it by registered mail with next day delivery guaranteed and with a receipt for signature on arrival. Keep all evidence that it was delivered.

they will want the equipment returning - see this

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment/request-returns-pack

And do not cancel any direct debits for at least a month later ad=s there may be some charges to add (or return!) to you and if they cannot collect them - a debt collection agency will 😦

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

If I do this, would my wifi be cancelled instantly or would it be switched off at the end of the month?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well.... Your cancellation and disconnection will (should) happen 30-days after the letter is received (or phone call documented) and the date you have put on it to happen (pick a day or two after the predicted letter delivery day) - so that might actually turn out be a day or so (whatever) after your wanted leaving date.  Hence you may get a charge of a few days from VM.

So if you can cancel on the phone (try at 08.01 uses options 1,1,4,4) that "should happen quicker and save a few quid, but that said there have been the odd cases of where a clueless offshore agent just cancels it there and then - or occasionally doesnt cancel it at all !

But that should be rare and calling early should mean you get a more clued in UK based agent.  Try that in the morning - if not get the letter in tomorrow's post

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hwthood, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with giving your cancellation notice. 

We can certainly check this out to you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs