cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you setup static routes

bogner17
Tuning in

Good morning,

Is it possible to setup static routes on the Virgin SuperHub 3 (TG2492LG-VM)?

I have added a second router to my home to create a separate subnet 192.168.1.0 /24

I need to setup a static router between 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0 /24 so I can access the second subnet from my main LAN.

Thanks,
Diarmuid

27 REPLIES 27

jem101
Superstar

Alas no, the Hub has no ability to do that.

But if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you are trying to achieve?

I have a server that I want to run on the separate network.

This network will have its own DHCP server and I don't want this to conflict with my main LAN.

Are you aware of any other ways this can be achieved?

you probably want to put the virgin hub into modem mode, and then use a router that supports VLANs, you can then create as many separate networks as you like.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

I purchased a layer 3 HP switch that has VLAN and IP routing features. 

Would I be able to use this device along with my VirginHub?

Would I need to put my device in modem mode?

Thanks,

Diarmuid

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You still need a router that is VLAN capable and it would provide the required DHCP server for each VLAN. You have a network switch that is VLAN capable so all you really need is a router, NOT a retail router which is also a network switch and WAP. Of course for WiFi it’s then best to get a WAP and hang if off your switch. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

what model of HP since on a lot of layer 3 switches can be configured for DHCP server

Its a HP Pro Curve 2610 J9089A.

Thanks

To be honest, I still don't see how this is going to work with the Hub 3. They'll be two issues, firstly the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet is used for guest wifi (even if you don't use it) and I suspect the Hub will simply throw up its hands (metaphorically speaking) and not know how to deal with the situation. The second problem will be routing back to the second subnet from the internet, when incoming packets destined for this subnet hit the Hub, it won't know what to do with them.

There needs to be a route saying 'for traffic destined for 192.168.1.0/24, send it to (say) 192.168.0.199', where that is the VLAN interface address on your switch for the VLAN which includes that subnet. But already stated, you can't add a route to the Hub so it won't know what to do with those packets and will just drop them.

Of course if the devices on this second subnet don't need internet access then this won't be an issue. You really do need your own router, it doesn't need to understand VLAN frame tags itself as the switch will handle all the inter-VLAN routing but it will need to ability to define static routes on it.

Thanks for clarifying. 

I'll just go ahead and buy a router, is there any models that you would recommend that will work with my switch?

Thanks,

Diarmuid