cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you move your modem/access point to another bedroom?

djr_uk
Up to speed

Hello all,

I had my current virgin media set up installed in 2004 and it all feeds into my boxroom which is at the front of the house. The superhub is in this room and the white box where the cables come into is mounted on the wall. I was a young 18 year old living with my family and being the youngest I had the smallest room but wanted all the technology coming into my bedroom haha.

18 years later I moved out, my sister moved out, my dad passed away and now i'm back at home! I spend my days and evenings in the boxroom working from home/logging onto my personal computer at night and watching my tv in the boxroom before now sauntering across the landing to the back bedroom which is where I sleep now. A big bedroom with a double bed! I'm all grown up!

My questions are:

1) How much would it cost to move the modem into the back bedroom?

2) The back bedroom has had issues with tv before (they're okay at the moment but it has been temperamental. We've got a tivo box in there and sometimes we have issues with "power levels" as i said its fixed now but i don't want to impact performance. Again i may be 18 years older but i still love technology, fast speeds and great tv with no worries of it buffering etc. Would it be better just to stay in the boxroom for my computer and tv pleasure?

3) Do i need to get the white box moved to the back of the house with the wires? If i don't have it moved will i technically impact performance?

At the moment i'm sat here on my pc with 300mb down, my tivo box is purring and my ps5 is loving life. Yes i would like to be in the big bedroom with my big tv, my pc on the big desk and stretching out but performance is key to me so i just wanted a bit of advice!

Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just call in and book at tech visit to relocate your equipment.

Pedantic point... you have a V6 Box ---- others have a Tivo box ----- both use the TiVo software - VM are now moving away from that software (they have to pay a licence fee) and so the new 360 box doesnt use that. Which one is better is a matter of opinion 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Will cost £25. They will just re-cable everything around the house to the new location - no need to move the omnibox

Do you mean TiVo ? If so try and get a 360 box instead

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve got a TiVo v6 currently. Isn’t that meant to be better than the 360 currently?

thanks for this. So they’d rewire everything potentially to the back bedroom? How would I go about organising that?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just call in and book at tech visit to relocate your equipment.

Pedantic point... you have a V6 Box ---- others have a Tivo box ----- both use the TiVo software - VM are now moving away from that software (they have to pay a licence fee) and so the new 360 box doesnt use that. Which one is better is a matter of opinion 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

hi thanks for this. really helpful. when you say omnibox is this the little white thing?

the back bedroom already has a tivo v6 but as i said it sometimes is temperamental. i also have a pc which i plug directly into the modem. the boxroom has a stable tivo v6 and super fast broadband on my computer. i dont want to lose that performance haha. 

would the modem move into the back bedroom as part of this £25 process?

Thanks again!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes the white box,

£25 to move the Hub to the back bedroom - assuming it is not above first floor and they dont have to go over roofing to get to it.

Your V6's will always have better connectivity if you can connect them on ethernet cables rathwer than wifi

--------------------
John
--------------------

Ah right okay this makes sense and with my hub in the back bedroom my tivo will be connected by ethernet so it should be good...

this is helpful thanks you are indeed a very insightful person!

Nope the back bedroom is like a 5 second walk from the boxroom haha

Hi @djr_uk thanks a lot for your post here.

I can see that since your post, you have actually got the help required for this and on the way to getting this sorted for you.

If you do require any further assistance though in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W

yep i did and great help it was too! Got an appointment 4th November...let me know if any appointments become available before then as it'll save me losing a bed for the night and having to sleep on the sofa as we've got visitors haha

Hey Virgin Media- can any of you fabulous moderators see if i can get an earlier call out than Friday 4th November to move my modem? The story is this Saturday i have to give up my bed for my sister and move back into the boxroom where the modem is. The reason for this? I stay up late and sit on my computer till silly o'clock as seen by the time of this post. So i couldn't get my sister to sleep in the boxroom as i'd lose access to my computer for the night. So i have to give her my double bed in the back bedroom.

HOWEVER if we can get an appointment before Saturday my computer and modem will be in the double bedroom. i can stay there and enjoy the pleasures of my computer and my sister the visitor can spend her one night in the djr household in the single bedroom...

So what do you say virgin media moderators? Will you help me for this famous quest. You can then one day say "i helped a strange 36 year old who lives at home with his mother to win one time...to move his modem into the double bedroom which will allow him to move his pc and big tv into it....and keep his double bed for the Saturday night without having to give it up to his married sister and endure a single bed"

come on virgin media moderators PM me and become heroes on this crusade with me