cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be done?

Ravvie
Joining in

Hi, I have just had the 1Gig package installed without a hitch. Took no time at all to get them out to fix us up. Now the issue is the speed, I’m fairly tech savvy when it comes down to it but when it comes to networking It baffles me.

what the issue seems to be is when people jump online and it ruins my work, I stream across the world for banking purposes etc. I have noticed that in the connected devices my daughters and sons iPads and phones are getting 1200mbs that’s without the TVs connected. I’m only getting 27mbs to my device. Is there a way I can lower the speed of the other devices MAC address so my device has priority 

regards and thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A split SSID would allow you to tie devices to a set band. However 5Ghz band has low distance and penetration, so you will need to be closer to the Hub. 
QoS is Quality of Service and allows you to set bandwidth speed limits on any device. So basically throttle the kids and give yourself lots 🙂

EDIT -  @Sephiroth bet me to it !!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Invest in a good router that has QoS.  That way you can setup the bandwidth rules to do what you want.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
1200 Mbps you're seeing is likely the link rate for those devices and not the amount of data they're using.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Ravvie wrote:

Hi, I have just had the 1Gig package installed without a hitch. Took no time at all to get them out to fix us up. Now the issue is the speed, I’m fairly tech savvy when it comes down to it but when it comes to networking It baffles me.

what the issue seems to be is when people jump online and it ruins my work, I stream across the world for banking purposes etc. I have noticed that in the connected devices my daughters and sons iPads and phones are getting 1200mbs that’s without the TVs connected. I’m only getting 27mbs to my device. Is there a way I can lower the speed of the other devices MAC address so my device has priority 

regards and thanks for your help

It appears your device is using the 2.4Ghz band with such a low connection speed.

The other devices shouldn't affect you since you have a massive amount of bandwidth to hand.

So am I right thinking that 5ghz is faster speed online then 2.4? I can assign a different password to 5ghz cant I? Is there no way to slow down devices manually? 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
To have the control I think you need, I recommend that you buy a good AX router and stick the Hub into Modem Mode.

Then you can constrain each home user's device to use 2.4GHz (by blocking their MAC address in 5GHz range) and/or apply QoS to each of your family's MAC address. Needs a bit of Networking knowledge so get a savvy mate round to help you.

On the el cheapo VM Hub alone, it'll be a nightmare. It's a good modem, imo, not a full-functioned router.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Morning Sephioth

Thanks for your reply, I have a few questions, I know the VM box is much better than the trash sky gives you. The question I ask is what is a QoS? I know what MAC addresses are and what each device is in my settings. Maybe if anyone has time they could assist me in setting it up? 

Just a thought would changing the 5ghz to a different ssid help and let them run through 2.4? 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Ravvie wrote:

Morning Sephiroth

Thanks for your reply, I have a few questions, I know the VM box is much better than the trash sky gives you.

The question I ask is what is a QoS? I know what MAC addresses are and what each device is in my settings. Maybe if anyone has time they could assist me in setting it up? 

QoS is "Quality of Service".  The method allows you to apportion bandwidth to specific MAC addresses.

Just a thought would changing the 5ghz to a different ssid help and let them run through 2.4? 

You can change the 5GHz SSID and, of course, change the password so that nobody but those intended should be able to connect.  Also, iin the Hub Wireless Security menu, you can inhibit broadcast of the 5GHz SSID.  The Hub also allows you to filter MAC addresses to specific WiFi (2.4/5).  At least so on the Hub 4.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A split SSID would allow you to tie devices to a set band. However 5Ghz band has low distance and penetration, so you will need to be closer to the Hub. 
QoS is Quality of Service and allows you to set bandwidth speed limits on any device. So basically throttle the kids and give yourself lots 🙂

EDIT -  @Sephiroth bet me to it !!

Would you be able to give us a guide in how to do that? I know where the settings are etc. just need to know exactly if I’m using the correct method. I’ve changed the SSID and allowed my self to use 5Ghz. I’m assuming that will help? Thanks again for this mate it’s appreciated