cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't split wifi between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Pentax25
Just joined

My wifi was split previously into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz settings which worked better for me as I have a number of devices connected. Lately the wifi went down so I reset it and now it won't split between 2.4 and 5Ghz again. I have been to my Hub 3.0 settings page and it says there that they're both turned on but only the standard one is appearing as something I can connect to.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I've got a hub 4. I'm trying to connect my security camera outside. It needs a 2.4z connection. How do I split my internet to get the right channel for my camera?

Thank you.

I believe it is pretty much the same as for the hub 3 above!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi Sarahlou93

I hope this helps 

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable (adding 2.4 and 5 to the end of each should suffice).

Gareth_L

Hello Sarahlou93

Quick message to see if you managed to split the signals?

Gareth_L

Thank you. I had the same problem with a Supply Master wifi controlled time switch and your solution was clearly explained and worked!

Turn of the 5Ghz, save settings turn off and on the camera, let it connect to the 2.4 then re-enable the 5Ghz and it should be ok