cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get online with Windows laptops

abdulquyum
Joining in

Hi, I’ve got 3 laptops in the house which are Windows 10. I cannot connect to my Virgin Hub3 with them getting the message ‘No internet, secured’.  Can someone please help as I’ve been on the phone to Virgin all day and they couldn’t.  Thanks in advance 🙏

60 REPLIES 60

Ok, so we have proved that VM broadband is working fine, as you can use phone connected to the VM hub.

A few posts back, I asked that you looked at the network settings and check the DNS IP address, go up to that post & try to follow, how to get this information,

also when you did the ipconfig command to get the IP address, did you also note the default gateway (sorry can't see your post whilst typing this reply) it should be 192.168.0.1

@Anonymous wrote:

@abdulquyum wrote:

The errors that come up state:

“Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding“

and it tells me to contact my network administrator or Internet service provider 

Do the laptops have the correct time and date and region set on them?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

DNS address of 1.1.1.1 should be ok, but lets change it so VM give you their default one.

From the bottom windows searh bar, type network connections  and click on it.

New window should show Ethernet Network1

Double click on this,

in the Ethernet Status box, click Properties

Then in the window, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Then click properties.

make sure the screed has Obtain IP address Automatically set

and Obtain DNS server address automatically set

Anonymous
Not applicable

@billbill wrote:

DNS address of 1.1.1.1 should be ok, but lets change it so VM give you their default one.

From the bottom windows searh bar, type network connections  and click on it.

New window should show Ethernet Network1

Double click on this,

in the Ethernet Status box, click Properties

Then in the window, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Then click properties.

make sure the screed has Obtain IP address Automatically set

and Obtain DNS server address automatically set

That's my screenshot, not the OPs!

billbill_0-1609360829663.png

Oops, my bad.
Strange that 3 PCs all have the same issue, wondering if somebody has been playing with the network settings? Will have to wait for the OP to check them and report back.

How much does VM pay us for tech support?

Anonymous
Not applicable
they pay us in badges.

783A039B-D2D1-4C5B-A907-AC484E74A576.jpeg

This is how it looks for me  

That all looks, good, I'm running out of ideas.

First thing to do is ensure you turn off wi-fi on your laptop, so it can only connect via Ethernet. This will eliminate 100% any wi-fi issue that possibly could be causing the issue (connecting to an old booster that still has old ISP details in it, for example)  

Try pinging the DNS server, to see if you can connect,

from the windows search bar, bottom left, type cmd, then open the cmd app

type 'ping 194.168.4.100' the reply should be similar to the attached screen grab.

billbill_0-1609413360863.png

also try 'ping 1.1.1.1'

Then, the only things I can think of to do next, is to take your laptop to a friend or relative who will allow you to connect to their wifi, stand outside & try to connect to their wifi network, ideally somebody not on VM. If you are in a bubble with somebody, even better, you don't have to stand outside & can connect to their router via Ethernet 🐵 This will prove if the laptop can connect to t'internet.

I don't know if Currys have a wi-fi network that a sales rep could connect your new laptop to, to prove it will work. Worth taking it back & asking them to prove internet connectivity is ok on your new laptop. The stuff they told you about bands and changing them is pure bullshine.

The other thing to prove your laptop works, is to tether it to your mobile phone, select the 'mobile hotspot' option, then connect your laptop via wifi to your phone. Look for a youtube video to do this, if you re not sure how.

There are no other reports of others having the same issue as you, so it must be something peculiar to your setup or configuration. It is unlikely to be the VM Hub, as Android & mac wifi works fine. Has anybody else played with the new laptop, who may have monkeyed with the settings? Out of the box, a Windows laptop should connect via Ethernet without issue.  

Just to let you guys know VM are sending me a replacement Hub. Hopefully that will work bit in the meantime thank you all very much for your help and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated 🙏