cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get online with Windows laptops

abdulquyum
Joining in

Hi, I’ve got 3 laptops in the house which are Windows 10. I cannot connect to my Virgin Hub3 with them getting the message ‘No internet, secured’.  Can someone please help as I’ve been on the phone to Virgin all day and they couldn’t.  Thanks in advance 🙏

60 REPLIES 60

Hi,

Have you tried what I suggested in my last post?

To be fair, if it is a problem with your three laptops, that is not VM's problem. However, it needs proving one way or another.

You say this issue has happened since VM install, so it has never worked? How long since the install? Did the VM engineer connect his device to your wi-fi and perform a speed test (He did for my recent install, to prove all was ok to me)

Have you tried connecting to your wi-fi with a phone? Make sure it is using your wi-fi and not the mobile network. It that does not connect either, then in all probability it is a VM issue. 

Have you a friend/family member that you can stand outside their window and use your laptop to connect to their wi-fi? If they can connect to their wi-fi & use t'interweb, but you cannot, then it even more proves it is a laptop issue, however, if you can connect to their wi-fi and get on t'interweb, it is pointing back at a VM issue at your house.

Was it just VM in India you were speaking to, or did you get put  through to the teccies? 

@abdulquyum wrote:

Just spoke to VM and they think it’s a problem with my laptops. Why don’t they have people that can help????

VM like Currys have not a clue but what they do know with certainty is its not their fault or problem - they will blame anything other than themselves

that said if you can connect a mac which i assume is via wifi then its unlikely to be a VM problem - thread has got too long to make sense of so some summary would be good

is the mac wifi or wired or both and if both than have you connected using both

as to the 3 windows laptops have you tried both wifi and wired on them - does wifi see the ssid of the hub3 - if so have you tried to connect using the correct wifi password

have you tried a wired connection on all three - if so what happens - answer to that may say lan is not working especially if you have not connected the mac via a lan cable

what are the makes of the 3 laptops - do they have a key press or a switch to turn off internet connection - what OS are they running

do you have any other devices - phones - tablets - if so do they connect

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I think it is time to start from scratch on this.

So, @abdulquyum

Can you confirm that the co-ax cable is securely connected to the rear of the Hub ?

Can you confirm that the co-ax cable is securely connected to the wall point ?

Is the Power Light on the Hub illuminated ?

If yes to all three above can you please carry out a factory reset using this exact method ...

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once this is complete get back to us for more instructions.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi Tony,

We are using Ethernet, to bypass any wi-fi issues.

Laptop connects to hub, OP can log onto the hub3 and see the network status, which shows internet, phone & wi-fi all ok and green.

Lights on hub3 indicate all is well, with just whitish light on.

When connecting to a web page, browser shows 'you are not connected to the internet'

The mac seems to connect ok, but three Windows laptops do not. It would be strange for all three laptops to have the same issue?

Would like to prove mac is actually connecting to the OP wi-fi and does not have a 3G card or something built in.

Also suggested OP tries to connect to their wi-fi with a phone, if that works, then it seems more likely to be an issue with all three windows laptops.

One laptop is new, so unless somebody has got to all three to muck up the network settings, it is most strange that a new laptop, as well as two others all have  the same fault

If they have an AX wireless adapter, then I've experienced the advanced wireless settings on a Win10 device not play nice with an AC router. I had to disable most of the advanced wireless settings to get a stable connection.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

I’ve now performed a factory reset. Bear in mind I did this when VM asked me to do so too with no joy.

OK.

Can you put an ethernet cable into the bottom port on the Hub and the other end into one of the laptops.

Then type 192.168.0.1 into the URL Bar of a web browser, press enter and follow the instructions for initially setting up the Hub.

Get back to us when you are set up.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

@abdulquyum wrote:

I’ve now performed a factory reset. Bear in mind I did this when VM asked me to do so too with no joy.

theres a raft of questions above - can you address them

the key question is have you actually connected with anything - you mention the mac connecting - lets have some details - screen shots would be good to show a wired or wifi connection

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I am now logged in to the Hub Mike.

Can you please navigate  Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.