cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get online with Windows laptops

abdulquyum
Joining in

Hi, I’ve got 3 laptops in the house which are Windows 10. I cannot connect to my Virgin Hub3 with them getting the message ‘No internet, secured’.  Can someone please help as I’ve been on the phone to Virgin all day and they couldn’t.  Thanks in advance 🙏

60 REPLIES 60

I’ve just connected an Ethernet cable and although the green light is on the Hub next to the cable input the laptop is just saying No Internet on the display.

Do other devices have an issue connecting?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yes, all Windows laptops. I’ve got 3 of them, 2 of them are new and the other one stopped connecting when we moved to Virgin. My Apple Mac that I use for work is all fine.

so the web browser is saying 'no internet'?

Does the windows say it is connected to a network?

(type network in the windows search box box, bottom left, then select network status)

In your web browser, type 192.168.0.1 <return>

Can you connect to your hub?

Hi, I have been able to connect to my Hub without internet using one of the Windows laptops.

Yay, so we know the laptop can connect to the hub, so it is not a laptop issue.

What lights do you have on the front of the hub?

Should just be one whitish bar at the bottom.

(Two green arrows mean hub is trying to connect to the internet)

Once logged onto the hub (using password), scroll down a bit and you should see 'Hub 3 Status Overview'

It should show

Wireless

Internet

Telephony

...with the status beside each one. Is internet showing 'Online' in green?

@abdulquyum wrote:

Hi, I have been able to connect to my Hub without internet using one of the Windows laptops.

You’ll always be able to connect to the hub even when outside internet access isn’t working.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

You are correct on all points. My Hub has a solid white light and all the items on the overview are in green, btw this is a Hub3

Dunno, is the truthful answer.

We have proved the laptop can connect to the hub, so (in theory) the laptop is ok.

Two new Windows laptops won't connect to Internet, one older laptop which worked with previous ISP, does not work with VM and a mac computer does work. I know nothing about macs, but your mac is connecting to your hub3 ok? Definitely connecting to your hub, does not have it's own 3G data modem or similar built in? 

You have a phone plugged into the hub3 and that works?

The hub is saying that it is connected to the interweb ok,

Might be worth checking the DNS on the laptop

from the windows search bar, bottom left, type 'Ethernet' and select 'Ethernet Settings'

a new window should open and say

Ethernet

Network1    (the number may be different)

Click on 'Network1'

and in the new window, scroll down and you should see your IP address (192.168.0.?)

Should also say IP Assignment Automatic (DHCP)

and below this, the DNS server address, should be 194.168.4.100 and 192.168.8.100

These are the VM servers that translate a web name (www.bbc.co.uk) into a number your laptop can understand, so it knows how to connect.

You could connect to the hub3 and look at your status & network logs,

Advanced Settings > tools > Network Status

Sorry, apart from the above, all out of ideas. Have you performed the 60 second pin-hole reset?

Just spoke to VM and they think it’s a problem with my laptops. Why don’t they have people that can help????