forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
reub777
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can't get 5G

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy A12 and won't pick up 5G from my Virgin hub ? My old Samsung J5 would though. I have contacted Samsung but got hammered with technical jargon( I think they said it was a 4G phone), so I thought I'd ask here, is it the phone or my Virgin hub as the phone only uses 2G.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't get 5G

@reub777 wrote:

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy A12 and won't pick up 5G from my Virgin hub ? My old Samsung J5 would though. I have contacted Samsung but got hammered with technical jargon( I think they said it was a 4G phone), so I thought I'd ask here, is it the phone or my Virgin hub as the phone only uses 2G.

Thanks...

It doesn't help that you are mixing up technical terms - 5G is used in mobile networks and stands for fifth generation, being the current latest offering in mobile phones....  4G is fourth generation and so on.  You're putting it alongside 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, which comes from a Virgin Hub - that will confuse people such as help desk people.  The terms here come from the frequency bands being used for the wireless from the hub.

Having read your phones specs on various websites it appears it doesn't do 5GHz Wi-Fi - it only does 2.4GHz bgn so that's why you don't see 5GHz on it - see this website and others;

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1413149/samsung-galaxy-a12-review

Check with Samsung direct to be sure.

Use a device that definitely does 5GHz Wi-Fi to check your 5GHz signal is working on your hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
reub777
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, I realise now. I don't really want to meddle with the hub. So am I correct in thinking that even it's only showing 2.4 it would automatically move to 5 if needed ?

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@reub777 wrote:

Thanks for this, I realise now. I don't really want to meddle with the hub. So am I correct in thinking that even it's only showing 2.4 it would automatically move to 5 if needed ?

I just updated my earlier reply

I checked the specs for the A12 and it doesn't appear to do 5GHz Wi-Fi - only 2.4GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
reub777
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much, at least I know now 😀

0 Kudos