cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to hotspot

robinsonpr
On our wavelength

I have an Android (pixel 4) and cannot connect to any public or private hotspots with the Virgin Connect app. I know I'm right on top of a hotspot.  Can see the WiFi network "Virgin Media" when I go to WiFi settings.  With strong signal.  But the app does not connect even though I am signed in and it says it will automatically connect when I am in range.

In the app under Home - Settings - About it says "Virgin Media WiFi Profile - Yes".  

If I manually try to connect the WiFi to the "Virgin Media" network I can see it asks for all sorts of stuff I don't know.  Eg Domain. 

Can anyone help?

44 REPLIES 44

simonhunter87
On our wavelength

i'm having a similar problem. i have the virgin media connect app on my samsung galaxy s21+ and it wont let me install the certificate. it just says "sorry, something went wrong" when i try to install it through the app. can someone help?

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi simonhunter87,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry for any issues faced, have you tried to manually sign into the network via the steps placed on the previous page?

Thanks,

Kain

I cannot get that to work. The settings options are slightly different on my Samsung galaxy s21 ultra maybe that is why?

Why can't you just update the app to work?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us Simon, 

We will pass the feedback on to the relevant team. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I have two phones, one Android 8 connects to hotspots other Android 11 does not. When is this going to be fixed, and if not where do I get a discount on a reduced service.

The website today (30 March 2022) repeats the "we have a problem with Android 11 and working on a fix". So this is approaching a year????

Hi @macsco, thanks for your post here in the community.

I'm really sorry, as the issue is taking a lot longer than expected to be fixed.

The hotspot service is free of charge to all customers, so we're unable to provide any discounts from your chargeable Virgin Media bill due to this.

Please expect our sincere apologies but we're working to fix this as soon as we can.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I have a Motorola G30 phone which I have just upgraded from android 11 to android 12 and I still cannot connect to wifi hotspots. Any updates on this?

There's another thread on here if you search. Basically it's broken. Has been for a long time. They know. They've asked us to email a mailbox that no-one responds to. 

Basically they've said we know it's broken but tough shiz. 

As per TheBlackCat the upgrade to Android 12 does NOT fix this problem.

We’re sorry you’re experiencing problems using the app to connect to hotspots. Our team knows there is an issue with Android 11 and 12 connecting to these and we’re working to resolve it in a future release expected later this year.
Some users have been able to connect by using this workaround: 

Switch on your WiFi when you're in range of a VM WiFi hotspot - you'll see Virgin Media appear on your list of available WiFi, this is in Settings > Connections > WiFi • Tap on Virgin Media from the list > Change the EAP method to AKA and tap Connect.
This isn't something we've been able to replicate but may be something that could help you in the meantime. If it doesn't work for you then it would be a case of waiting until the update is available.

We have also stopped asking people to email in their examples a while ago now, as this is being investigated. 
Apologies once again for any inconvenience.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley