cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect smart TV to internet

sm3949
Tuning in

Have a Panasonic Vista smart TV and a new virgin hub3. Laptop and printer connect wirelessly fine. TV finds wireless network and connects , then a diagram comes up showing TV connected to the hub ok but no access to internet. I have tried factory reset of TV and switched hub3 on and off but always the same result, hub connected but no internet.

8 REPLIES 8

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Disable the smart Wifi/channel optimisation on the hub 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tried that and still not connecting, TV says up address not aquired

Sorry typo says up address not aquired on the TV screen 

g0akc
Problem sorter

I presume you mean not getting an IP address?

It sounds like your TV has accessed the hub Wi-Fi but not provided the right login information, so it has not been 'let in' and served with an IP address.

• I've not heard of a Panasonic Vista TV - do you mean Panasonic Viera?
  • How old is the TV?
  • Does the TV have WPA2 Wi-Fi security? Check the manual etc.   Try changing the security setting on the Hub 3 (even turn it off temporarily to test the connection).
  • Is the TV 2.4GHz only or does it have 5GHz Wi-Fi - use 5GHz if you can.
  • Try changing the Wi-Fi channel (keep to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4)
  • Are you using the correct credentials for the new hub (SSID and password etc.) as shown on the card?
  • Can you see the network settings on the TV?  Are they correct?  Correct subnet mask?

let use know

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the reply, it is 2.4hz TV, viera no subnet figures shown, just shows connected to hub. But not to the internet. Will try the security option in the hub.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you try the connection on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable and see if that works or not

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The TV is in living room and router is upstairs so wireless only I am afraid.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure that your TV has the correct time and date, as some TV's and other devices refuse to connect unless that's correct.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali