cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

157 REPLIES 157

Hi kgeriksson

We will have this fixed as soon as we can ^GT

duosonic
On our wavelength

Thankyou for the help

just to add, if it helps this also applies to Whatsapp - again both the mobile and desktop app NOT 4G - , and i guess they're all the same company.

thanks

I have a similar problem with images on Instagram and Whatsapp. NB: This is when using the respective phone apps connected to my Virgin Media home wi-fi. With Instagram, images load on mobile data and also on other wi-fi networks (e.g. The Cloud). With Whatsapp, I have verified that an image that wouldn’t download through my wi-fi downloaded fine on mobile data but I haven’t tried other wi-fi.

Instagram: Problem started relatively recently. In the past I was always able to download IG images on my phone when connected to my Virgin Media home wi-fi, but I was off Instagram for a while and only returned to it recently. I first noticed the images weren’t loading a few weeks ago. To repeat, there is no problem with download or upload using mobile data or other wi-fi (e.g. The Cloud).

Whatsapp: I noticed a similar problem with images today. I have no idea how long the problem has existed as I don’t generally receive images on Whatsapp. However, the image that wouldn’t download just now on my wi-fi displayed fine on mobile data.

IMPORTANT ADDITION: For a long time now (over a year) I have been unable to download or update phone apps using the Google Play Store when connected to my Virgin Media home wi-fi. As with the Instagram and Whatsapp images, the problem doesn’t exist when connected to both mobile data and other wi-fi (e.g. The Cloud and wi-fi on trains etc.), and apps are downloaded or updated normally on those networks.

Apologies for the length of this message but I wanted to cover every aspect of these problems, so there’s no ambiguity about what I can and can’t do.

Hi dubmill, 

Thank you for reaching out to us, this has been fed back and we are working to get this resolved ASAP.

regards

Paul.

duosonic
On our wavelength

Hi there

as you can see from my posts here and many others this is quite a problem. I have left this forum for a while assured that the problem would be investigated. I have to say that noone has come back with a solution but other users keep reporting the same problem. I have no wswitched every member of my family to unlimited data plans on mobile devices because this problem was besoming so expensive with add ons. 

To clarify - Whatsapp, Instagram, Facebook - these are surely the biggest platforms globally for entertainment and business and I cannot access images on any of them via my Virgin wifi at home. 

Virgin support is literally less than useless - it was actually really upsetting how i was treated. 

So can I please ask anyone here who actually works for Virgin to please help - given that I have left this report for many weeks now with now support at all?

Thankyou

Hi @duosonic

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I am really sorry there's been no follow up on this. 

My colleague John has raised this for you as per the previous messages and as and when we have any updates, we will follow up here. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

duosonic
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha

i appreciate you coming back but have to wonder if it takes months on the community forum to get a response what chance is there of me using the correct support channels via phone? One of my calls literally took 3 hours and got me nowhere despite the absolute promise of a follow up call which twice never happened. 
my current situation puts my equipment and service in a partially unusable state and that should be enough of a breach to demand an engineer investigation or at least an attempt to swap the router as a starting point surely ?

thankyou

Hi @duosonic,

I am really sorry about this, there's no updates at the moment but as you have been previously advised, as soon as we know more on this, we will update the thread.

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ayisha_B 

Can you guys chase the relevant teams?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've been having the same problem as everyone else in this thread and I've tried the same things.

I can't see any pictures on Facebook or Instagram on my laptop or mobile when connected to the VM broadband wifi. I can see the text though.

Here's VM's advice to me:

.Capture.JPG

However, it doesn't look like Gadget Rescue is a free service... Can anyone confirm if this is going to be fixed for free?