cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

157 REPLIES 157

Hi Molly

virus safe and child safe are both off.

and I don’t have the right cables to connect via Ethernet. But hopefully this shouldn’t be necessary?

best

kristina 

Hello kgeriksson

Can you please try a pinhole rest on the hub 

On the back will be a button, may need a hairclip or biro 

Keep the button presses in for a minimum of 30 seconds

Then please let us know if you can access the sites 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth 

yes we have tried the factory reset and that didn’t help either. 

Kristina 

Thanks for replying Kristina

Does this happen on any other devices as well 

Gareth_L

Hi

it happens on my iPhone and MacBook Air, and the same on my husband’s iPhone and MacBook Air. They only work when there is 3G/4G in the house, which is how I realised the problem in the first place (I no longer have cellular coverage at home).

Kristina 

Thanks for that explanation kgeriksson

Just to confirm you just have our Hub and no 3rd party router set up at all 

Gareth_L

Yes just the one hub!

Hi kgeriksson

Sorry for the delay 

Can you please try accessing Facebook or Whatsapp and see if anything has changed 

Gareth_L

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This sounds like it might be due to your IP address having been blacklisted by those sites.

Can you try setting the Hub to modem mode and use a device connected by an ethernet cable?

This will change your IP address.  See if you can now access YouTube.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how to access via Ethernet on MacBook Pro… and on my phone..?! 
YouTube is fine. It’s the Facebook-owned sites. Not sure why I would be blacklisted…?