cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

157 REPLIES 157

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Read message 99 for the “solution” Invest in your own Mesh system. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey sumasubv, thank you for reaching out today and a warm welcome to our community. I am so sorry to see you cannot view any images or download them.

Please can you let me know is just on WIFI, how is it on mobile data? 

Also have you deleted and redownloaded the apps, or do you access these sites through their website? 

I've had a look on our forum and there are great tips and advice here on this issue, it might be worth a quick look at what our amazing members have said here.

How long has this also been happening for? 

Please do let me know, thanks. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

gunslinger238
On our wavelength

Just to let you know this is still a problem that needs an answer. YouTube, Instagram, WhatsApp media and Google Play Store - none of them are working on my WiFi.

Yes I can confirm it is just an issue on my WiFi - yes it works fine on mobile network and on other Virgin Media networks.

No it is not an issue with my phone - it affects all Android devices on my network.

No, a Hub reboot doesn't work, and no I don't have Childsafe turned on. I have been through all of this with your various technical support teams.

Please can someone just grip this problem and sort it out. I'm paying for a partial internet service when I could easily switch to BT.

For your information, I had a similar problem and wrote about it on this forum. I could not load images and videos on Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp (all Meta services). And I could also not download anything from Google Play Store. I could however load videos on YouTube.

I gave up following or updating the topic as no clearcut answers were provided, and I resigned myself to not being able to use my Virgin Media connection to load images and videos on Meta services, or to download from Google Play Store.

However, all the above recently started working again for me. This followed scheduled Virgin Media engineering work in my area on 12 October. Following the engineering work, I noticed that my IP address is now different. I assume this is why the above websites and services have started working again for me.

So it appears that there may be no fix for your problem unless your IP address changes.

I've had the same problem for about two years now. No one at Virgin will accept the fact that it is an IP address issue. They don't seem interested in fixing our problem.

I can confirm that whenever VM are doing some engineering work in my area, Facebook and Instagram are working fine again until the work is done. Then, I'm back with a partial internet service.

Hi @gunslinger238, @dubmill and @bkwt thanks for your replies.

@gunslinger238 and @bkwt have you tried a full factory pinhole reset on your Hub, as opposed to just a reboot?

@dubmill great to hear that things are all sorted for you now.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

I have indeed. This is the first bit of advice offered on the phone. Resets, child locks, websafe, all that stuff has been done.

Same here.

Hey bkwt, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some issues with social media platforms.

I understand there was an outage last week with WhatsApp but since then there has been no reported issued.

Please can you let me know if you can access them on mobile data or it just WIFI you are struggling to see this? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I don't have Virgin Mobile. It is just Wifi on both laptops and mobiles.