cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

157 REPLIES 157

duosonic
On our wavelength

likewise i gave up with the phone route. One of my conversations lasted 3 hours of being slung from clueless department to department. There was absolutely NO WAY I was simply getting an engineers visit let alone a new router even though I had read all the threads here about routers with blocked IPs. 

I gave up and that cost me about £200 in new routers that I could use in modem mode. In any case the modem mode resets itself on a regular basis for no apparent reason but thats another story and one which i have no intention of wasting a day calling an alleged helpline about.

Hello bkwt,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with viewing images on Instagram and WhatsApp.

It is a very strange fault to be honest.
I'd like to take a look into this for you and get to the bottom of it.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

bkwt
Tuning in

Update -

After a two-year battle, I'm happy to announce that someone at VM actually listened and helped! I've just installed my new Hub and the problem is fixed.

All social media are working properly on all devices.

As easy as that.

Hi bkwt, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am glad to hear that this is now resolved. 

Please let us know if you need anything and have a good day. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

duosonic
On our wavelength

hi there

can you let me know how i can also have this service. As you can see i posted many times on this thread and had no luck at all but it has also been a problem for over 2 years for me.

Thankyou

Hello duosonic,

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about you not being able to see pictures on Facebook or Instagram.

The IP address on your Hub will be the culprit. 

Its an easy fix by swapping the Hub for you.
I can look into this and help.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hello Bernard.

Thanks for those details.

The replacement Hub has been ordered now.

Yodel, our courier partners, will deliver your equipment in the next 5 days. Delivery is between 8am and 9pm. If you gave us your contact details, our delivery partner Yodel will text and/or email you with a 2 hour estimated delivery slot on the day of delivery. 

You can track your delivery on the day by clicking here once Yodel text you your tracking number.

When your package arrives
Give our 24/7 automated activation line a quick call on 0800 953 9500. It’s really important you do this before connecting your kit. Your call allows us to send a signal to your home to make your services active.

The packaging can be used to return the old Hub back to us.

Can you please let me know how thing are after the set up.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth -

We have been having the same issues for abou two months now.

As per your message, could we request a new hub as well / change the IP address?

Many thanks in advance. Best,

Maarten

Hi there @KingRedbeard

Can I just ask is this happening across all devices are one? Have you also ensured all software and apps are up to date? 

Thank you

Hi Ashley -

Many thanks for picking up on my message, much appreciated.

Indeed, this is happening on all devices on the virgin home broadband message - exactly similar to the problems experienced by others in this long message board trail.

From what I can gather from the messages, the only way to solve this problem is to replace the hub and get a new IP, as that worked for others as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Best,

Maarten