cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

157 REPLIES 157

Hey bkwt, thank you for confirming this.

Does this work on any devices at all?

I would personally do a pin hole reset of your hub, this should then work.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt,

As I said previously, I have done the pinhole reset and everything else suggested by VM. Nothing works - it is the same on all devices.

My husband has VM broadband at work, everything is fine there but when he connects to our broadband, all pictures and videos on social media have gone.

Thanks for coming back to us @bkwt.

Have you possibly made any alterations via the parental controls that may prevent this content loading up on social media platforms?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

No. Resets, child locks, websafe, all that stuff has been done.

The problem started after VM did some work in my area, I never changed anything.

Thank you for popping back to us @bkwt

Can you just confirm for me, have you tried forgetting the network and re-joining again? 

What do you mean exactly by 'forgetting the network and re-joining again'? How do I do that @Ashleigh_C?

Update - I had a Virgin Media engineer come out today and change the router. Problem is sorted.

If you read back through this thread, you'll see this answer has been around for ages. Hopefully, this can be fed back into the system so that when others ring Virgin about this problem, a change of router is offered as the solution, rather than forcing customers into a battle of attrition to get the solution they need.

I imagine you're all given crib sheets or something similar. If this solution is added to it, it'll save you, and us, from asking/answering questions about pinhole resets or updating our phone software.

This is the solution, it's written down here, please learn from this and save yourselves a headache.

Wow

as you can see I gave up long ago and bought my own router and watched with my head in my hands for the last year all the people going through the same routine - reset, parental lock, turn it off/on etc 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

the question is therefore how did you get the new router because in the dozens of hours on the phone and on this forum it was the golden egg I could never get near.

I explained that I'd gone through all that stuff and that I wasn't going to get off the phone until someone agreed to send an engineer out. The engineer knew the problem immediately and went to get a router out of their van. If you can get past the 'phone barrier' it seems the people with the technical knowledge know what to do!

Thank you very much gunslinger238 for putting down in words the way I feel!

I'd given up trying to get someone to listen as I was fed up of going through the endless pointless battle on the phone and chat.

Now I hope someone at VM is clever enough to sort out this issue once and for all.