cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access pictures on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Hi,

All of a sudden (since 3G/4G stopped working in my area) I can no longer download photos from Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp via Virgin wifi on my phone or laptop. Other apps and sites work fine - I can stream BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. There is no problem with the speed either. 
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? 
K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It might be worth running a tracert to cdn node to see if they can get there.

Using chrome on the laptop right click on one of the image placeholders and select "Copy image address." open notepad and paste it in there, you'll see something like this:

https://scontent.fgla3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-0/s600x600/214867168_10220414916549710_5066565597755746003_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_eui2=AeFgKCzY6--Q3aNrdoolWcSXDK3UutKRi3QMrdS60pGLdHAp2xTG_7bDU1ehC3CxGXY&_nc_ohc=iz8CtellRv4AX92OW4g&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-1.fna&tp=7&oh=f69b143a1735f084151e0c4fdf133bc5&oe=60E9947A

I've coloured the bit we need for the tracert in green.

Open a command window and type in the command:

tracert -4 scontent.fgla3-1.fna.fbcdn.net

Note: The -4 switch is unnecessary for you, it just forces the tracert to go over IPv4, leaving it in won't hurt though.  You shouldn't see a long trace as CDN nodes are usually placed on the users own ISP network by the various companies.

tracert -4 scontent.fgla3-1.fna.fbcdn.net

Tracing route to scontent.fgla3-1.fna.fbcdn.net [86.189.107.148]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  BTHUB [192.168.1.254]
  2    10 ms     4 ms     4 ms  172.16.19.151
  3     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  81.130.106.16
  4     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  81.130.106.17
  5     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  86.189.107.148

Give it a try and let us know what you get.

@sophist 

I'm on a BT network here, so can you do a tracert for comparison?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

157 REPLIES 157

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Why has 3g and 4g stopped working? That would only be temporary due to engineering work. 

If your local coverage has dropped back to 2g that has very limited bandwidth and only very low resolution pictures will get through. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a Virgin Mobile connection to do this? Or a Virgin Broadband connection?

You've posted in the broadband section of the forum, but referred to 3G/4G which are mobile technologies. WiFi is just a connection from your device to a router, and that could easily be a homehub (broadband) or hotspot (mobile device)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I’m using Virgin Media broadband and Wifi. 
the 3G/4G issue is a separate thing (with O2) and localised to my area (a cellular dark spot in London..!) but means the cell can’t make up for what seems to be an issue with the broadband. In other words, when I’m on 3G away from my house I have no problem getting the pictures/apps to work.

kgeriksson
On our wavelength

Yes that’s an O2 issue in my area. Which means I can’t get the access to apps via cellular data. So when I’m away from my house and using cell data these apps work fine. When I’m on virgin broadband, they don’t.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Access to many of those sites is restricted if you have "childsafe" activated on your account.

Log on to the account and click the "My Apps" tab, and navigate to childsafe and if its on - switch it off and try again

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Checked childsafe setting and that’s off… 

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kgeriksson,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post! Sorry to hear of the issues you've been having recently - how have things been since your latest post?

Just to understand what is going on a little better, can you confirm what devices this issue is occurring on exactly (make/model of phone etc.)

Also if possible are you able to connect the laptop to the hub via ethernet cable to check whether this improves your downloads?

Let us know how you're getting on,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello!

thank you for your response. There is no change to the status - ie I can not access others’ photos on Instagram, Facebook or WhatsApp. 

I have an iPhone 8 and a MacBook Pro - so does my husband and he has the same issue.

I haven’t got a cable to try the Ethernet rather than wifi… I’ll see if I can find one. But there is no issue downloading images or videos from other sites or apps.

best, Kristina 

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @kgeriksson,

Thanks for your reply, sorry that the issue has continued.

Is 'Virus-Safe' on or off in your settings? Are you able to check whether alternating with this helps with downloading the photos across those apps?

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide