cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can new hub use saved Hub3 Setup file? (Hub3 WiFi Dead:Engineer coming tomorrow)

windbag
Dialled in

Our Hub3 WiFi is dead, diagnosed by Virgin & Engineer coming tomorrow.
Likely will replace Hub - install Hub 5?

I will need to get the SSID, pw, parental controls, fixed IP rules etc all re-established.
I have the correct Hub3 setup file saved before its WiFi went down.
Can a replacement Hub (5?) read/understand/use that file ?

If Hub 5, how many fixed IP address rules does it support ?
(the Hub3 was awful & flakey in this area)

5 REPLIES 5

windbag
Dialled in
OK, it looks like it might be a Hub4. Can that read Hub3 saved setup files?

Has no-one has a Hub3 to 4 swap & tried reading the setup file from the Hub3 ?

Well, I guess I now answer my own questions:

1) No, a Hub 4 won't read the setup file of a Hub 3

2) It didn't matter as the engineers only replace "like for like", so I was able to read in my setup file anyway.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They are not static addresses that you put into a hub/router, they are only "reserved address" and not guaranteed. If you want fixed IP address you have to put them in the device.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

>They are not static addresses that you put into a hub/router, they are only "reserved address" and not guaranteed. If you want fixed IP address you have to put them in the device.

Well, that is interesting, Tudor.
As a person whose main weakness in the computer area is networking, I've always had to rely on folks who are cited, or seem to have, experience in the area.

I don't know how many times I've been told to "fix" an IP address by going into the router and putting it in the rules there. "Reserved" and "fixed" have been cited pretty much interchangeably.  I can sort of see why, as I've always been advised that one of the primary functions of a router is to "assign" internal network IP addresses to whichever wired or WiFi device makes a physical or RF attachment to the network. ie the Router is the "boss", ensuring the right data flows to the right device.

However, you indicate otherwise, which is new to me.
What I don't understand is, if a device can "tell" the network what address it is going to use, what happens when two devices try that with the same address? I have (rarely) come across an error of "IP address conflict", so rarely that I put it down to a flakey router, and has usually gone away - but might be arising from such an issue. I'm puzzled that a device can force a specific address on a system it is attached to. For what purpose?

Going back to :
>If you want fixed IP address you have to put them in the device.

In most instances, particularly some ones with minimal documentation (like my Energy monitoring system supplied by a company now long extinct), I know of no way to "put them in the device", or equally, to change them in the device.  I have seen such a setup field in my QNAP NAS, but the forums there strongly advise leaving it as "obtain DNS server address automatically", ie leave it to the router (I presume).

Is there a short "article" somewhere that a network-weak person like myself can get to grips with the essentials without getting bogged down in minutiae ?