cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can connect to router but no internet access

GeorgeR
Tuning in

We have 2 PCs connected to the router via Ethernet cables.  One has recently stopped connecting to the internet, it says it couldn’t connect to the DNS servers.  I can connect to the router from a browser on that PC without any problem.

The other PC is working as normal and I can connect a laptop to the Ethernet cable of the problem PC and that connects Ok.  Mobiles can connect via Wi-Fi without problem.

I’m not aware of any changes to the PC prior to it stopping working overnight without rebooting.  I’m assuming that the problem is something on the PC but before I start changing settings etc I thought I’d ask whether there’s any chance the problem might lie either within the router or beyond.  Could something be blocking this one particular PC but not the other devices?I realise that probably sounds like a stupid question but the answer would help me home in on where the problem might lie.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to give any tips/advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @GeorgeR,

Welcome to our community forums. We are sorry to see you were having these issues with your internet access. We can understand the frustration caused during this time. We are however glad to see the community was able to help with this. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

eileenallison
Up to speed

hi, have a look here to see if it helps you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-rXa4Pwmc

Thanks for those but just to clarify, I’m not attempting to connect the 2 PCs to each other.  
There are 2 PCs in the house both connected to the router via Ethernet cables. My son’s still works perfectly when connecting to the internet whereas mine connects to the router OK but not to the internet.

I’m didn’t knowingly change anything on my PC before it stopped connecting so I just wanted to know the PC is the problem as opposed to some problem with my router or the Virgin network.  There’s probably a way to confirm that’s the case but not that I know of.

Basically I don’t want to change settings on my PC unnecessarily 

Thanks again for the reply !!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What happens on the 2 PC's when you swap their ethernet cable connections at the Hub ports?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the suggestion although I’d already tried that.  Still the same - my PC doesn’t connect but my son’s is OK so I’ve ruled out a cable problem.

I’d also connected a laptop to my PCs Ethernet cable and that worked just fine

I’m assuming it’s something on my PC but a bit surprised it can get to the routers home page at 192.168.0.1 but no further.  Then again I’m not familiar with the inner workings 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whats the IP address of the two PC's? Are they in the same "range" as the Hub? Are they set to "Configure Automatically" or have they been set at a set address?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Mine is 192.168.0.119 and is set to be obtained automatically.

The other PC is 192.168.0.155 and again obtained automatically.

Not sure about being in the same range as the Hub - I assume that’s at 192.168.0.1

My PC was OK on Friday but not on Monday when I next looked, and I hadn’t powered down in the meantime so I hadn’t changed anything.  

Update: Avast Antivirus appears to be the culprit so I’ll sort that out and no further assistance is required from the forum

Thanks to John and Eileen for their input.

Hi @GeorgeR,

Welcome to our community forums. We are sorry to see you were having these issues with your internet access. We can understand the frustration caused during this time. We are however glad to see the community was able to help with this. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs