cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the existing coax wiring as a way of plugging devices into hub from other rooms?

pretty_fly_wifi
Tuning in

My flat was ‘pre-wired’ for virgin, meaning I’ve got white plastic covers on the wall of each room with the virgin symbol on them but no sockets. If I remove the cover, there are two wires without plugs curled up inside, presumably waiting to be connected to something.

My virgin hub box (wireless router etc) is connected to the main virgin gateway box thing which has a whole bunch of wires (also without plugs on them) sticking out of the wall. I presume each of these wires goes through the walls and comes out behind each of the plastic covers I mentioned earlier.

my question: can I leverage this existing wiring as a way of connecting devices in other rooms via Ethernet cable back to my hub/router instead relying on the wifi signal? Or is that existing wall wiring only there to give me different options as to where my single hub/router lives, and any Ethernet wired plug in needs to be from device directly to hub only?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might need to share some photos if possible 

pretty_fly_wifi
Tuning in
https://www.screenbeam.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/ethernet-over-coax-make-wifi-better/

I just found this, but not sure if this would do what I’m asking.

Anyone tried it, or similar?

5262AE56-1479-4993-918E-66E13B2129B8.jpegFC24037F-F0F2-4894-9CBA-E3985BE40F2B.jpeg

pretty_fly_wifi
Tuning in

When you say ‘not connected to VM in any way’ what do you mean?

I would want to do something like this just to use the otherwise unused cabling between rooms to attach more devices directly to my VM hub via Ethernet. 

43C34ECE-BD8B-4963-B49F-645E3F16A8AD.jpeg

Thanks, I’ve replied there. Keen to understand why is advised not to use the VM coax for this purpose. Is just sitting there in my walls doing nothing otherwise 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pretty_fly_wifi wrote:

Thanks, I’ve replied there.

Best keep all your posts in this one thread - but you'll see there's a placeholder in that other thread so anyone who wants to pick up your new question, can head here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks