cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Openreach BT box for Virgin Media Fibre connection

arjun2727
Joining in

Hi

I am new to this rented flat. My landlords were using Sky but it has low speed in this area so I am planning to go with Virgin Media's M125 Fibre broadband deal. In our living room, we have a open reach bt box and a master microfilter was connected to it through which sky router was connected.

Can we use this Openreach bt box for viring media installation or are they going to install something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
But if there is no internal VM socket in your flat (is that correct?) you will still need to ok its installation with the landlord - as they may need to mount an external "Omnibox" (do other flats have these) and will be drilling through a wall to bring cabling in.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@arjun2727 wrote:

Hi

I am new to this rented flat. My landlords were using Sky but it has low speed in this area so I am planning to go with Virgin Media's M125 Fibre broadband deal. In our living room, we have a open reach bt box and a master microfilter was connected to it through which sky router was connected.

Can we use this Openreach bt box for viring media installation or are they going to install something else?

VM will install its own cables if the property does not already have a VM connection. You will very likely need to get your landlord's permission to install this.

Client62
Hero

The Openreach sockets do not work for Virgin Media.

I take that means there is not a Virgin Media wall socket or coax cable so it becomes a new install from the street.

Without the landlord's written consent you must not order a service that results in Virgin Media digging the drive / paths / gardens and drilling through walls at the property.

Hi

The building already has viring media connection as I can see other flats using virgin media

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
But if there is no internal VM socket in your flat (is that correct?) you will still need to ok its installation with the landlord - as they may need to mount an external "Omnibox" (do other flats have these) and will be drilling through a wall to bring cabling in.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @arjun2727, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 🙂

Unfortunately we don't use the Openreach master sockets as they are BT only.
If the property has Virgin Media cabled up, it would only mean you need the Virgin services installed or connected to your property.

Have you placed an order for the Virgin Media services yet?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs