cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use HUB 3 and Router at the same time

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have HUB 3 and wondering if I can use TP-Link AX1800 to extend/boost the signal throughout the house. Can I use both HUB and Router, if so I don't need to turn on the modem mode on the HUB setting right? right now its still in the router mode and I want to keep it like that.

I don't want to turn off wireless signal coming from HUB 3 and want to utilize wireless signal coming from both HUB and router.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
I think you can set the TP-Link as an access point - But I believe you'll need to connect it to the Hub 3 with an ethenet cable.

If you want a proper wireless 'repeater' you'll need to use a MESH system or Mains Adapter repeaters (I forget the name of them - @Jbrennand on here uses that solution IIRC!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes just set the router to be in "Access Point" mode (see in settings or the App) and wire it into the Hub - it should work just fine.

Or even better... do put the Hub into modem mode and use the superior router in the TP-Link 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

If I understand you wish to

1) Retain the Hub 3 in Router mode with WiFi enabled

2) Attach the TP-Link AX1800 via a network cable and configure the TP-Link AX1800 as a Wireless Access point.

The Link AX1800 does support both "Router Mode" and "Access Point Mode" so yes it does look possible.

The manuals are here : https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax1800/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Iotharmat and @Jbrennand

Thanks for both of your replies

The below is the settings I have in my TP link router which has ethernet cable from HUB to TP link router currently.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

The below is the settings I have in in my HUB

Capture3.PNG

Could you please compare the settings I have on both of them and let me know if there is conflict like do I have to disable channel optimisation in HUB for this architecture to efficiently work please?