cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run the hub and unplug the tivo box?

ASmith3
Dialled in

Simple query but Google isn't helping. Can I have my tivo box switched off at the socket, but my hub switched on on another socket, so as to have the wifi on permanently? I unplug everything before bed, but I'm thinking of getting a smart device that uses wifi, in which case the tivo box and tv can be unplugged, but the wifi alone kept on, that's what I'm wondering.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

conman33158
Super solver

Most people will keep the Virgin Hub on 24/7, so keeping it running will do no harm as they are designed to be on all the time for instant access to the internet 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

g0akc
Problem sorter

@ASmith3 wrote:

Simple query but Google isn't helping. Can I have my tivo box switched off at the socket, but my hub switched on on another socket, so as to have the wifi on permanently? I unplug everything before bed, but I'm thinking of getting a smart device that uses wifi, in which case the tivo box and tv can be unplugged, but the wifi alone kept on, that's what I'm wondering.

Yes of course. They are separate boxes. Quite OK to turn one off and leave other on if you wish.  Broadband and wifi will work without the Tivo box, though some services on the Tivo won't work without an internet connection which comes from the hub.

As mentioned many of us leave the hub on 24/7 - our central heating controls go through it along with other smart devices/services.  We also leave our Tivo (V6) TV box on standby as it's often recording content late at night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

conman33158
Super solver

Most people will keep the Virgin Hub on 24/7, so keeping it running will do no harm as they are designed to be on all the time for instant access to the internet 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

g0akc
Problem sorter

@ASmith3 wrote:

Yes of course. They are separate boxes. Quite OK to turn one off and leave other on if you wish.  Broadband and wifi will work without the Tivo box, though some services on the Tivo won't work without an internet connection which comes from the hub.

As mentioned many of us leave the hub on 24/7 - our central heating controls go through it along with other smart devices/services.  We also leave our Tivo (V6) TV box on standby as it's often recording content late at night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure, as I knew the tivo box and hub were connected in some way. Good to know I can do this now.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ASmith3,

Thank you for your post regarding switching off your TiVo box at the socket but leaving your WiFi switched on.

As they are separate boxes, you are able to do this 🙂 thanks for checking! The Hub does not require the TiVo box to be switched on to work.

Best wishes,

Serena