Menu
zzzgibsonm
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I pay for a fixed IP address for my home broadband?

Hi community

I'm having some monitored security cameras installed and have been asked by the security company to upgrade my internet to have a fixed IP address?  Please can you advise what is required and how much this addition will cost?  Many thanks Martin

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I pay for a fixed IP address for my home broadband?

no you can't get a static IP address on residential products.
you would need a business product.
0 Kudos
zzzgibsonm
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  Please advise how much it is to upgrade and who I need to liaise with?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

it's not something you can "upgrade" to.
you would need to cancel your residential package and then sign up to a business package.

they are different business units though, and business isn't supported via these forums.
you would need to go to https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@zzzgibsonm wrote:

Thank you.  Please advise how much it is to upgrade and who I need to liaise with?

Try https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@zzzgibsonm wrote:

Hi community

I'm having some monitored security cameras installed and have been asked by the security company to upgrade my internet to have a fixed IP address?  Please can you advise what is required and how much this addition will cost?  Many thanks Martin

The answers above are all completely correct, if you actually wanted a static IP address then the only option is a VM Business account BUT the way that VM implement static addressing is via a GRE tunnel and depending on what you are trying to do, getting it all working for you might not be such a straight forward process.

Now having said all that, it might not be all doom and gloom, to access the cameras from the outside, then, yes, you would need to hit your public IP address and forward the proper ports through and you don’t wan the WAN address changing every week or so. However although technically VMs residential addressing is dynamic, in practice, they are very sticky in as much that you end up keeping the same address for months if not years (my WAN address stayed the same for well over a year, coincidentally it did change two days ago, I suspect a bit of network re-segmenting).

What I would suggest is that you stick with what you have and regard your current address as being semi-permanent, depending on the camera’s firmware and/or if you have a thrid-party router (and really I would in your place) you might be able to setup a DDNS account which will solve the problem anyway. That way you can always connect to the camera system by a hostname rather than IP address, which would be far more convenient.

John  

sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, There is a way around this..I use a dynamic DNS service. I had the same issues, cameras, ftp and plex servers had issues staying online because every now and then my IP number (public ip) would change and i didnt know the new ip number until i got home. very annoying!

I ended up using a DNS. basically it allows you to create an address like ( joebloggs.mydns.com ) and that stays the same. it acts the same as your ip number but it knows what your public ip number is, so if you isp changes the ip the dns automatically updates the ip address , all you need to use is the dns address so in the camera software when it asks for your external ip number in the settings just type the dns address you created and set up.

i use one and its worked for a couple of years now and ive had several ip number changes. everything works pefectly with it .here is a better explination i found online..

Dynamic DNS, also known as DDNS, solves the problem of ever changing residential IP addresses by associating your address with a consistent domain name without the need to buy a pricey static IP.

Having a home IP address is not as simple as having a business IP address. When you become a residential customer of an ISP, they provide you with an IP address so you can access the internet from your home. However, these dynamic IP addresses frequently change, as the ISP manages their own online systems. This makes it difficult to utilize your residential IP address with other services (webcam, security camera, thermostat, etc.) as the address continues to change without notice.

Thankfully, Dynamic DNS can help by assigning a custom domain name to your home IP address that will update automatically as your home IP continues to change.

All you need to set up a dynamic IP address is a Dynamic DNS host

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I uses DDNS, but my VM IP address has not changed for 2 1/2 years.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You will likely not be happy with VM fixed IP but VM Dynamic IP based on MAC stays the same for years so I suggest getting your own router and use modem mode and use the same MAC so your IP will likely stay the same for years. Then their DDNS which maps your IP to a DNS name like from noip.com with firewalls like may ZyXEL USG/ZyWALL you can make a rule based on FQDN the DDNS name you picked.

0 Kudos