cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I host a website on my personal broadband? If so, what am I allowed and not allowed to do/host?

jroj
Tuning in

Hello, 

I'd like to find out if I can host a webpage/website on my personal broadband. If so, are there any limitations to what I can do or host (obviously not illegal stuff)? 

Many thanks in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Corey_C

Thanks for your post, jroj,

You're welcome to have a look at our Business or Homeworks options. It can be done on a residential connection, however keep in mind it is a residential connection for that purpose.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey, 

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to buy a subscription service or use VM Business.

Surely I should be able to just port forward ports 80 and 443 via my VM Super Hub. I just mean the restrictions on that. 

Your help is much appreciated, take care.

Kind regards,

jroj

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jroj wrote:

Surely I should be able to just port forward ports 80 and 443 via my VM Super Hub. I just mean the restrictions on that. 

Do that or use modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing to stop you, but put in place a resonably capable firewall first. Dynamic DNS, strict rules.

I use pfsense, reverse proxy means that I can have the one DDNS  home address and multiple cname pointing to that home address so the 10+ devices that are internet exposed can share that port 443, HTTP connects are automatically redirect to HTTPS with a Acme wild card certificate but internally routed on port 80. A HE tunnel means my home internet devices are also IPV6 enabled. and do not require the reverse proxy. but further firewall rules.

Monitor the firewall logs, understand what is attempting to breach etc. 

Do not be tempted to expose anything but the bare minimum, All my remote access must come through VPN to the firewall, I use openvpn for "Road Warrier" mobile access and FreeSwan for permanent connections,

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky