cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I force a device to use 2Ghz Wireless only?

mattanorak
On our wavelength

Hi there,

I've seen some similar posts, but this one I don't think is quite the same.  I have a device that supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but it's located in a place where it doesn't get fantatic 5Ghz coverage but still picks up the signal.  Every now and then it gets weak and drops.  I can't move the device.  So my theory was to try to force it to use 2.4ghz network.  I tried to do this by going into the Hub 4 and selecting:

Advanced Settings, Wireless, Security

and at the bottom there's an option to add a device and specify the network band, so I did this (see photo).

wireless.png

Does this actually work without adding any other filtering restrictions (ie is it designed to allow me to force specific devices to specific bands?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The firmware in VM Hub's has a mind of its own.

What you suggest may or may not work. If it works - it may change at any time without notice.

Unifi is you friend 🙂

I am all Apple devices and wireless equipment with separate SSID's and I select the best one for each device and stick with that. Only reason it may need to change for me, is if moving around whilst on the phone or laptop and then only if I move out of range of the 5GHz signal (bottom of the garden, etc). Whereupon the device just switches seamlessly to the next best SSID in its list - i.e. my 2.4GHz band.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

mattanorak
On our wavelength

Actually, I should add that it doesn't work as I expected - just noticed this:

wireless2.png

Any idea how / if I can make it work as I thought it would?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to rename the two SSID's so each frequency has its own unique SSID - just add _2 and _5 to the same names - use the same password. Then connect each device to your the band you want

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

But that's a royal PITA.  Everywhere else I have 2G and 5G with the same names and I can steer devices to 2G or 5G.  One more reason to ditch the Virgin Wireless and put in Unifi.

So what does the Wireless Filter List do when it shows whether I want 2G, 5G or both?  And does it work?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The firmware in VM Hub's has a mind of its own.

What you suggest may or may not work. If it works - it may change at any time without notice.

Unifi is you friend 🙂

I am all Apple devices and wireless equipment with separate SSID's and I select the best one for each device and stick with that. Only reason it may need to change for me, is if moving around whilst on the phone or laptop and then only if I move out of range of the 5GHz signal (bottom of the garden, etc). Whereupon the device just switches seamlessly to the next best SSID in its list - i.e. my 2.4GHz band.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Ha!  I hear you!  It sure does feel like it has a mind of its own - the setting feels like it should do something good, but meh, nothing happens!

I've just not had time to set up the Unifi kit here yet.  My Nest Thermostat keeps disconnecting in the app, but the thermoastat itself says that it's connected - a check on the VM Hub says it's connected but with a low connection rate.

I need to get that Unifi kit in quickly before I end up tearing out what hair I have left!

Thanks for your responses!