cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I downgrade to Hub 3 from hub 4?

bigmarty2001
Tuning in

I was selected to take part in the hub 4 upgrade a few months ago. I wish I hadn't have accepted! 

The WiFi on all my devices dips a lot, and goes offline and it's nothing to do with "blindspots", I am currently writing this post from my phone using up my 4g data because the WiFi is so bad! I never had any of these problems with with the Hub 3.

Also, a friend of mine, also a Virgin customer was having some repairs done to his service, and when enquiring about the new Hub 4 one of Virgin Media's own technicians adviced him against it, said there was a fault with them? 

Now I have been trying to speak with a human on all of the suggested contact methods, online chat and even phoned in, but it is all bots or automated replies ... All I am looking for is Virgin to send me back a Hub 3... This new "upgrade" has definitely been more of a downgrade! 

I would really appreciate if an actual human could help me out on this. Cheers. 

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely, but let's look at your problem. The Hub4 is more prone to be affected by line errors. Often the errors had already existed, but the Hub3 was not affected.  So, we will have a look at the circuit. Go into the hub on 192.168.0.1 and post your up/downstream stats and network log.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 11.56.51.pngHub 4 (1).png

Hi bigmarty2001,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you're not happy with the SH4 and that you prefer our SH3. Reading through your post it seems that you are experiencing Wi-Fi issues and dropouts.

Remotely looking from our end, we have located your account and we can see that you are having capacity issues with our Wi-Fi service.

Due to this are there any devices you would be able to connect with an Ethernet cable?

We have done a diagnostics check from our end and can confirm all power levels look fine, you have no SNR issues and no area fault's are affecting you which is good news.

We have included a link here which will give you further help and support with this issue. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks Jodi for getting back to me...

Any devices that are connected via ethernet are performing as usual but these issues are mainly occurring in mobile devices.

This only began to happen with the SH4... prior to this everything worked as expected. 
I appreciate you checking from your end but I'm still convinced that my SH4 is performing far less superior to it's precursor.

Cheers

Marty

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@bigmarty2001 wrote:

I was selected to take part in the hub 4 upgrade a few months ago. I wish I hadn't have accepted! 

The WiFi on all my devices dips a lot, and goes offline and it's nothing to do with "blindspots", I am currently writing this post from my phone using up my 4g data because the WiFi is so bad! I never had any of these problems with with the Hub 3.

Also, a friend of mine, also a Virgin customer was having some repairs done to his service, and when enquiring about the new Hub 4 one of Virgin Media's own technicians adviced him against it, said there was a fault with them? 

Now I have been trying to speak with a human on all of the suggested contact methods, online chat and even phoned in, but it is all bots or automated replies ... All I am looking for is Virgin to send me back a Hub 3... This new "upgrade" has definitely been more of a downgrade! 

I would really appreciate if an actual human could help me out on this. Cheers. 

try retentions 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

only talk to the UK - if you get offshore hang up and try again - its always an uphill battle to change back and yours sounds harder as if i read it correctly you sent your old hub back - but be persistent and keep it polite - they may do what you want

in truth i see no real difference between the 3 and the 4 - i would say wifi is marginally better on the 4 but not much - i personally would look at levels and settings - but if you have done that try retentions - nothing lost - the worst they can say is no

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The "final solution" would be to stick the VM Hub (any model) into modem mode and use your own router and wifi equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@bigmarty2001 wrote:

Thanks Jodi for getting back to me...

Any devices that are connected via ethernet are performing as usual but these issues are mainly occurring in mobile devices.

This only began to happen with the SH4... prior to this everything worked as expected. 
I appreciate you checking from your end but I'm still convinced that my SH4 is performing far less superior to it's precursor.

Cheers

Marty

As someone who has tested many hubs over the decades I have noticed that size of hardware is important for a number of reasons...

WiFi signal can only manage a number for items using it at any time but also its the type and size of the aerial that is inside the hub. 

SH3 is bigger than SH2 ac and others before and I've must say I don't have SH4 but I've seen them and I think that signal will be different from the shape of the hub unless it's has a double aerial installed. 

I can see that Virgin has tested your hub details and found that you are on edges of what WiFi can handle,  yes I understand that the SH3 didn't have that troubles with signal drop outs and areas that have no signal. 

I would say asking for a SH3 is an idea if they are going to give you one then great. 

But I would say that a network cable connection to as many items as possible is always better as systems are designed for multiple items working at same time.   So TVs, TV Boxes, DVD boxes, laptops, desktop etc should be cable linked to leave WiFi for phones, any pads, camera systems,  doors bells systems,  Alexa etc..

You can buy cables at all lengths and network boxes for giving you more connections then the 4 on the hubs...

Virgin media pods might help you with areas that have weak signal. 

Also SH 5 is coming out in few months time and looking like the aerial is going to be better size than the 4 ... so could wait until then ?

Putting your SH4 higher than you had SH3 might help with your poor signal?

WIsh you luck