Menu
Highlighted
JCraigH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can I connect V6 via ethernet to iMac

Good morning brand new Virgin user here.

We've had Virgin cable installed on Friday gone, over the moon and mega impressed with the performance downstairs. We've had 3 V6 boxes installed living room and two bedrooms.

The router is in the living room and we are roughly averaging 110Mb down and 5Mb up absolutely huge improvement on previous setup. Alas when I run Speedtest on iMac in bedroom it's averaging 13Mb down 4Mb up. I was wondering if I could connect V6 to iMac via ethernet cable to improve speeds. Would this be feasible and do you foresee any problems.

Eagerly awaiting your reply's

kind regards

Craig

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I connect V6 via ethernet to iMac

Short answer, no.

You cannot daisy chain devices, Ethernet works like the spokes on a bicycle wheel. At the centre is a router, the Hub3. All devices connect to it via either Cat5/6 cables or WiFi. So you need to connect your iMac to the Hub3.

I think you V6 is probably using WiFi for its connection and you want to take a cable from the unused RJ45 socket to your iMac. No go.

Now if the V6 is Ethernet cabled to the Hub3, you can take the cable going to the V6 and plug it into a network switch, then 2 new cables from the switch, 1 to the V6 and 1 to the iMac. You can get a reasonable 5 port switch for about £12 on Amazon. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
vircom
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ethernet cables are the best way of connecting network devices but are not always practicable or asthetically pleasing. Wifi is convenient but signal strength and interference can be a problem. I have used powerline adapters successfully to provide Ethernet ports and/or wifi to difficult areas. They rely upon decent house wiring and don't provide the quoted speeds but mine will happily steam hd video. They are however more expensive than Ethernet cables especially for the higher speed versions.
JCraigH
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tudor.

thank you very much for your reply, if I connected iMac to router via ethernet cable would cable length have any effect on performance. I apologise for the naivety of the question.

kind regards

Craig.

0 Kudos
JCraigH
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Vircom,

many thanks for your reply. Don't know how good the wiring is I'm afraid but you've given me another option to consider. The iMac is positioned directly above the router so I'll look into the ethernet cable. Regarding ethernet cables is it a case of you get what you pay for, as I said to Tudor please excuse my ignorance.

kind regards

Craig.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not unless it were hundreds of metres away. In a home environment - no.
Get a good quality Cat6 cable available in 10,20,30,50 metre runs reasonably cheaply.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You may have to drill a hole through the ceiling and lift floorboards. I recommend terminating the cable at an RJ45 wall plate. Get a professional to do the work for you if necessary.

Plug an unmanaged gigabit switch (available in sizes such as 4-port or 8-port like mine) into the wall plate and connect your V6, iMac and other devices such as games controllers to the switch.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ethernet cable length, without repeaters, is 305m/1000ft. So you have plenty of leeway!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
JCraigH
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Would you recommend solid core or stranded, much appreciated.

kind regards

Craig

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In most houses stranded is suitable. Solid will work well with the proviso that these cables are not suitable if flexed a lot.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos